Antipodean Z-axis problem

Exciting times!
It moves!
It cuts!
All axises functioning, but my z-axis may be Australian! When setting up to define zero, I’m able to get there, but the raise and lower buttons do the opposite! I’m using one of the motor/gearboxes that are normally used for the chains, and have it properly(ish) configured for depth adjustments. My only issue is that my up is down and vice versa. Instead of travelling at a 4mm safe height, I plough through 4mm deep. Credit to the Yonico triple flute up cut bit, it didn’t break and despite leaving tearout that could be used to scrub pans cut reasonably well!

If anyone can save me from getting the wire strippers out by coming up with a quick soft-fix, I’d be most grateful.

Cheers,
Miles

1 Like

Turn the router upside down? :crazy_face: well, no…
Is yours a Maslow z-axis kit? If not, some motors from other suppliers have the M+ and M- reversed. If that’s the case, use a negative number for the z-axis travel distance to solve your issue. If it’s a Maslow z-axis, not sure how that could happen…

3 Likes

That’s the answer I would suggest too :grinning:

3 Likes

Will all my g-code have to have reversed polarity on the z-axis instructions?

No, changing that one value is the only accommodation you’ll need to make. After that a negative value for Z in a gcode will lower the bit toward or into the material, as you would expect.

2 Likes

Awesome! That saves a bit time ;¬)

3 Likes

For completness inside this topic, can someone screenshot where this configuration setting gets entered (Ground Control, etc)?

1 Like

Here you go, with the ‘podean’? “anti-antipodean”? setting :grin:

3 Likes

Love this solution… I was seeing exactly the same thing.

Thanks

2 Likes

And now I’m going to call it that forever. Thanks @blurfl :smile:

2 Likes

Hi.
New machine going and all excited.
I have how ever modified a router to adjust Z. and get the same problem.
I am not able to insert a minus to reverse movement and just imagine that it will be a problem getting to “home 0”.
I do not find anywhere in Underground where the direction can be changed.

1 Like

Hi @Hannes, the support for GroundControl seems to get thin here. Most users recommend switching to webcontrol now. However you should be able to add a minus cklicking on “Settings” and reverse the direction with adding the minus or removing it under “Z-Axis” pitch. Kind regards, Gero

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Got it going now

Took a while to find the settings page.

1 Like