Z-Axis calibration problem

I’ve reached the last part of the calibration steps using Groundcontrol, and I set my Z-Axis zero. I tested the motor movement and pitch by measuring out 10mm and having the Z motor move down 10 and up 10 and it moves correctly.
The problem is, each time try to I run the quad-test cut, it moves to the left corner, the Z-axis cuts a tiny gouge, and then raises up away from the board and cuts the test pattern in the air.

I would have thought the pitch value should be inverted, but then wouldn’t the Z-axis manual raise and lower commands be wrong, too?

thanks.

is your z axis pitch supposed to be negative and so up and down are reversed?

if so, why do up and down work correctly when I press the buttons to move the Z-axis manually?

-sandy

Sorry for asking you what you stated in the last sentence… not super helpful.

That sounds frustrating and strange. When you normally move the up/down, has the router been on or off? I hear stories of interference with the encoder from the router power wire being too close to the z axis signal wire.
Could it be a feedback problem? Perhaps you could reverify your connections are plugged all the way in. Some questions that may help point you in a direction to investigate:

Does it plunge and cut, then retract and just never plunge again?
Is your z axis skipping teeth?
Is it belt driven or direct drive?
Is your router orange holder thingy snapped in?
Is your router binding during movement?
Are you using a bungee?
Have you stood on one foot and hopped doing the hokey pokey and turned yourself about? Just kidding.

It sounds like the router is moving and then binding but in the absence of more information, I can’t be sure. What is your safe retraction/ travel height set at?

Have you downloaded the log… (or can you in groundcontrol - Maslow is moving to webcontrol and I’m way more familiar with that software than groundcontrol)

Perhaps a few things to check and try. Do post back if you find the silver bullet.

That sounds frustrating and strange. When you normally move the up/down, has the router been on or off? Off. I will try it w/ it on and see what happens.

I hear stories of interference with the encoder from the router power wire being too close to the z axis signal wire.
Could it be a feedback problem? Perhaps you could reverify your connections are plugged all the way in. Double and triple checked.

Does it plunge and cut, then retract and just never plunge again? It seemed to, more like it was retracting and then going to cut height, only since the directions were inverted, it went down, then up and acted like it was cutting.

Is your z axis skipping teeth? No

Is it belt driven or direct drive? Belt driven - Metal Max

Is your router orange holder thingy snapped in? Huh? Makita Router, fastened tightly, bit in firm and tight.

Is your router binding during movement? No bit spins freely

Are you using a bungee? No, Pulleys and counterweights.

Have you stood on one foot and hopped doing the hokey pokey and turned yourself about? Just kidding. Yes. Also burnt offerings (forgot to take the burgers off the grill)

It sounds like the router is moving and then binding but in the absence of more information, I can’t be sure. What is your safe retraction/ travel height set at?

Have you downloaded the log… (or can you in groundcontrol - Maslow is moving to webcontrol and I’m way more familiar with that software than groundcontrol)

I didn’t download the log, I’ll check it.

Perhaps a few things to check and try. Do post back if you find the silver bullet.

thank you for the quick response.

-sandy

The orange router things apply only to the rigid standard sled setup with the router moving in the metal router base that sometimes binds and needs a bungee to function properly. Not knowing your full setup configuration, I asked about common issues seen in other systems.

Since you have a metal maslow, your setup is considered a c channel (has wheels and moves along a metal strut?) with the router clamped directly to that. I’d almost encourage you to reflash your arduino, but I don’t know how it would be off since that hasn’t changed in a very long time. I believe your Z axis pitch is -8 depending on which motor you have.

Can you run a simple gcode program and does the router plunge when it gets to -z values? Make a square that is 50 mm x 50 mm (~2" x 2") and have it cut at a depth of -3 mm at 450 mm/min and see if it works. It probably won’t be dimensionally correct, but it will show you if everything else is functioning. cut it away from where the calibration marks are cut and not in a far corner. If it doesn’t plunge to -3 to cut…

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.
I have a standard maslow cnc with a bosch pof 1200 with z-Axis conversion kit.

Had to change the pitch to -8 to move it up/doen according to the up/down buttons.

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Any help would be welcome!

Did you guys ever sort this out?