Axes inverted and strange position holding (newbie problems)

Hi all. I know the advanced community “likes” such topics. But I will tell my story, someone will laugh at a naive person, and someone can give advice.

I have been following a project since the campaign on Kickstarter, but there was no place to build, in 2020 I wanted to buy, but there were not many options, so I decided to build it myself from scratch: Cutting out the metal parts, buying motors and making the board. Looking at the board schematics, I decided that I will build it under 24v as drivers allow, picking up the components for 24v, I made the board. As a result, after a year of trying, I have not found the reason why the motors run all the time when the power is on. Then I relocated to another house. And now after 2 years I built my machine again =)

Summary: The frame expands off the wall, the motors are 12-24v, the control board I ordered from Maker Made as I could not finish mine. I build the machine to the standard for my region plywood 1525mm * 1525mm in a very limited space, router bocsh pof 1200. And I use makerverse.
But after assembling all the mechanics, I got two problems:

1. In the calibration process all axes are inverted, couldn’t find how to fix it. I even thought I may have swapped + - motor in the connector, but I didn’t. Any tips on how to fix it?
  2. Motors on hold don’t just make a noise, they oscillate around the hold point, which causes vibration and motors get hot. But if I stop it with my finger, as well as sometimes happens by itself, the motors hold position and makes a noise (as should be) Suggest what to check why this happens?
1 Like

First off. Making it all yourself is awesome! I wanted to do that, but there is such a time saving in buying the parts that will just work if that is an option, though there is much to be learned from DIY.

1. inverted calibration you will want to check your over/under chain setting. based on your picture, your chains are under.
  2. if your motors are not the same as the ones in the kit, then your PID control loops that regulate the current applied to the motor and measure the encoder feedback need to be tuned to not oscillate and overshoot the setpoint. I had a z motor that I couldn’t get to work with the PID. after it burning through a few chips and fighting with it, I finally just bought the right motor from makermade and it just works. While that is the last option in a DIY mindset, you must enable the use of custom PID values and then take the time to tune the PID loops for position and velocity for your motors if the stock motor settings don’t work. Additionally, your encoders are likely different counts per revolution and that could be most of the issue. One other thing to be aware of is that Makerverse never turns off the motors, so as long as the system is active and not in the sleep mode, the motor drivers will hum and it gets old. Put the system to sleep when it is in rest mode.

I made a video a couple years ago about calibrating with makerverse, though I was using a Due controller at the time. It sounds like you are using a Mega controller. You may find it useful if you are using the same or similar recent version of makerverse. I fought many of these issues and tried to illustrate how to address them.

2 Likes

Make sure the motors aren’t reverse connected, try switching connectors at the shield before doing anything else.

3 Likes