Can you display Webcontrol screen from Rasp Pi when using another computer to control the Router

Perfect Jon, you were correct. I logged into PUTTy, did a quick “sudo shutdown now” Upon turning the Pi back on, Webcontrol did launch and is giving me the prompt that “New Installation Detected”…do you want to use groundcontrol.ini file…etc. We will NOT be using that groundcontrol.ini file, instead we do the calibration for those that are reading the post in the future…YOU WILL have to make sure first thing to select your COM port in the Maslow settings. Make sure you are connected to your ardiuno by doing this. Just hit “refresh” symbol. More to come later after calibration.

sounds good so far

Orob made a good post with videos on setting up web coontrol here:
https://forums.maslowcnc.com/t/webcontrol-how-to-use-the-basic-and-advanced-features/13241

Look for the section that starts with " BASIC CALIBRATION TO GET STARTED:" it explains how to gather and enter the data for the quick configure menu. Some of this data you already may have.

The key with Web Control is to have really good measurments and like I said earlier the pull chains tight step we replaced with a manual measurment between motors.

Orob’s instructions are pretty much in order they need to be performed and his videos are prettty clear. FYI, the audio is a bit hard to hear without headphones but his explanations are pretty easy to follow.

Once you finish the Quick Configure steps, you will need to perform extend chains which can be found in the set sprockets and chains submenu. This is where you extend the chains on each side a set ammount so that the Maslow firmware knows exactly the length of chain that is played out. Again, Orob’s video on extending chains covers this part pretty clearly. You will need to disconnect the sled for the chains to do this safely. Follow the advice Orob gives about marking your chains.

Once you’ve complelted the extend chains routine, you can then begin Holey calibration. You should have already pushed the Holey firmware to the Arduino previously but doing it again won’t hurt. You can do this in the actions menu.

At this point you can do a quick test of center by using the “Return to Center” function in the actions menu.Yours led may not be centered verticaly but it should at least be centered horizontaly after doing this

After this you will want to make sure that web control is configured to support a Z-Axis and that you enter in your new pitch information, etc… This is important because the defaults settings for z-axis are based on the older style motors and you dont want to run Holey before you update these to reflect the newer style Z-motor. Youwill also need to zero yourz-axis at this time too.

After this you can run the Holey calibration routine and calibrate.

The end result should be a machine that is properly configured and calibrated. THIS is the time to use the “Backup Webcontrol” feature in the actions menu. It will create a compressed zip file of a couple of directories, some log files, and most important teh webcontrol.json file. It shoudl save it to the default download location your browser uses. The file may not have a file extension on it. If it doesnt, just add .zip to the end of it. You can also copy the webcontrol.json file to you local machine using WinSCP or FileZilla, etc… Either way, you wan tot get a backup of the .json file as soon as possible.

Thanks! Sorry I was writing my stuff in when you sent this. If I have my chain length, extend chain distance, and Chain sag correction value should I still do the chain test and all that? yes I assume?..I am going to watch Orob’s video as well, and do it regardless…just curious if I had this if I should use those values. I put them all in Quick configure. So I added the basics needed, then went back into Maslow Settings and: Flipped on the Z axis toggle, changed the Z axis pitch to -3.17 from (3.17 as have the Rigid router). Then went back into Advanced settings: Extend chain distance to 2032 (I have the longer 12 foot rail), chain length to 4267.2 (longer 14 ft chains), Z axis encoder steps per revolution to 600 (due to faster Z motor), and changed chain sag correction value to 35.08453. Those were all my numbers I saved…

The chain length should be the same as before so yes.
The extend chain distance was 1651 for the shorter beams but is something larger for the 12’ beams.
the chain sag correction value I just kept at the default value that came wiht webcontrol.

ok so all that is loaded in, now you want me to do the extend chain test before I move to Center correct? What I should say is even with all these numbers, I should do this to make sure its accurate, is that correct? I am going to watch Orob’s video while you reply…

I would stop everything and go to the link I sent you. Read through it and watch his videos

After completing quick configure, the next sep is to extend chains. This step is pretty easy, its NOT to be confused with pull chains tight.

The “Return to Center” function is done AFTER you have completed the “Extend Chains” function and re-attached your sled. This isnt an official step of hte process but I did id to make sure my sled was at least trying to go to the horizontal center of the work surface.

Funny thing I have been…I did not realize Orob, is Rob the Builder!! lol Sorry Orob :slight_smile: I was already watching your video of the chains a few hours ago, hahah!!! I have it in a window already, going to watch again. I have been watching all his videos on the Holey and all that, why i decided wanted to do it. Boy do I feel like an idiot :slight_smile: Doing as instructed Jon, let me watch these and this one in particular. I was going to say I saw a video on marking the gears at 12 AND the chain, i thought what was a great idea and wanted to do this anyhow…So will do this, more to come and thank you!!

Orob/Jon - Yes I will need to go back Orob and find the originally configuration video you made, as it looks like you marked your chains TO the 12 oclock setting of a gear tooth (in a video I have not seen yet, the one watching has the marks already). I did not do that with the old groundcontrol setup, so I cannot pull the chains, center each closest tooth, and then pop the chain back on. clearly one of my motors maybe skipped a tooth or dragged, whatever have you…so my guess with center NOT being center, I am not going to be at 12. Let me try and find that…then will use my numbers still I loaded in. more to come

when you extend chains you want to make sure to use the larger number as it give tou enough chain to attach the sled when using the longer top beam. not sure what previous numbers ypu are referring to. you ar going to want to follow this step closely and definitely redo it if necessary I chose to mark a specific tooth on the sprocket and use that as my 12 oclock tooth. that way after i extended chains, whatever chain link it was in was the one that i marked.

i cant stress how helpfull marking trhe chains is in the future

Yes, I saw his video and wish I had done that in May! Can I mark now, before I pull off sled, then move that tooth to center, and put that chain piece on the 12 oclock tooth (which I marked NOW), or did I miss the train on doing that earlier when I did the old chain stretch and what not in ground control…watching his videos now, have not see that part yet

not sure what you are asking

well maybe just have not gotten to that part, watching where you enter the info in…now I have more info probably as I wrote down it all, but I do not have the marks yet…maybe we will be getting to that. I was just going to say in my current setup, if marked a gear and chain link, can I then remove sled, rotate that gear to zero…put chain back on. I think NO, because my center is off right? No it is not going to work as I think about it, wrong link on the chain. NEXT time after marked, I can do that. I am starting to understand why mark so important.

you can do that but only AFTER you have completed the extend chains procedure first.

ok which have not gotten to yet…at least in this video. The one I saw already had the marks on the sprockets and chain.

Rob describes marking the sprocket and chains in his video.

ok cool, yeah I am going to guess its after this part of entering in what you know…will continue watching.

oh yeah I remember this now!! I think i did this in ground control setup! first link, define zero, extend chains. I remember having issue as I forgot to put the longer chain amount in! 7 concussions, I forget things from a few weeks ago, let alone last May :slight_smile: Anyhow, I remember this sort of, will continue with video. Then I bet when home position, we mark the sprocket and gear together, so you can 12 oclock the gear at any time and that chain can pop back on!!

the actual process you just described is called “resetting chains” and yes tou just described it perfectly :wink:

This is great! I feel more comfortable now that I remember this step, I was confusing myself with that chain stretch where I think chain popped off on me once. I may even have a mark up to to quickly 12 oclock the sprocket tooth. Will look now, setting up my mini scaffolding thing so I can get up close and see easily. I love this thing, if you all do not have one its perfect for getting up and seeing the sprockets, or even setting the sled on the screw to remove chains. It folds back in, takes up no space. You have room to move and walk on it if you have to work on the upper rail for any reason. Here is a pic if interested…HD has them. it also extends a bit higher too, the legs come down.