I’m trying to find the best way to get the tool path to do a Navy Crest. I want to do multiple layers.
I can’t say this is the easiest way, just the way I know best. I would:
- import that image into Inkscape
- add new layer on top of it
- turn the opacity of the new layer down so that the picture layer shows through
- draw the individual parts of the crest, adding layers as needed to separate the parts
- use whatever tools the community recommends to get from svg to g-code (MakeCAM?)
I would try inkscapes trace bitmap function and see what that gets you.
I’d suggest starting with a more detailed image. This is the best quality I could find:
This tutorial might help. I think the hardest part for this crest will be getting your layers and outlines correct in Inkscape.