How can I determine the depth of cuts from an SVG in MakerCam?

This one’s probably going to go down as one of the stupider questions in the No Judgement category, but here goes: How can I tell how deep cuts are when I, say, open up a file in MakerCam. Let me back up.

1. I downloaded the Pedestal from OpenDesk and ran that DXF file through https://convertio.co/dxf-svg/ to convert it to an SVG that would work in MakerCam.

2. I opened up the file in Makercam and started deleting things like the OpenDesk logo, and the outline of the plywood, etc, When I noticed some of the pieces obviously have sections that are cut into but not at full depth.

1. I got curious- how do I see how deep these cuts are / which ones are through cuts and which are just part way through?

2. General confuzzlement (confused + puzzled :D)

Can anyone answer this (probably dumb) question?

That’s not a dumb question at all. The only way I’ve figured out how to do this is to open the file in QCAD and look at the layer names. Open Desk will name the layers things like 9mm pocket to indicate the depth. It’s that or just guess based on the way it all goes together. They really could make it easier

1 Like