Just a Basic Box

I got my Maslow kit from MetalMaslow in November this past year. And then, I got a 3D printer for Christmas. Talk about some fun new toys! Anyhow, I knew that I wanted to keep several rolls of filament on hand, as well as keep them in dry storage. I looked for ideas online and decided to build my own. And what better to cut out a simple box than my new Maslow! I know, I know, dado blades on a table saw could have done the cuts in 15 minutes. But I don’t have dado blades, so I figured might as well use the Maslow.

This was my first project to design with Fusion 360 and then generate the gcode from there. I definitely should have used the gcode cleaner so it moved faster between cuts, but overall I am happy with the results.

I decided to have a window in the front of the box, so I used the Maslow to pocket out a recess for a piece of plexiglass. The sheet I had was 0.093 inches thick. In fusion I set that depth to 0.094 just to see how it would do. I’m pleased to say that the z depth was spot on, and the glass fits like a glove!

Here are some pictures of what I ended up with. If anyone is interested I can share the files here. I found the filament guides on thingiverse that I used also.

12 Likes

ok, now that is cool!

Noice!! I may be hitting you up for your DXF file so I can cut my own. I have an Ender as well, and I should probably build a box for all of my filament as well. Great build!

I have that same printer. Is there a way to dehumidify that box? I can’t print in the summer usually because it is too humid.

I didn’t add any dehumidification yet. I’m going to try my luck with $15 worth of reusable silica packets off of Amazon. I got some rubber window weatherstripping at Lowe’s to seal the lid, and the end caps for the tubing have tpu printed seals in the too. I’m hoping I can keep it dry enough like that, but we will see.

After drawing this up in fusion, I realized I should have added a parameter for the length in relation to the number of rolls of filament. So I’m working on a version 2.0 now with that.

If thingiverse ever starts working again :roll_eyes: , I will link the rollers and outlets that I used too. And maybe post a remix with all my files too.

Much obliged! Again, great work, and I look forward to seeing 2.0. Like @Orob stated, being able to keep the moisture content in check seems to be something I have read about, but I think I have only had any issues on one roll (I have about a dozen) where it seems to be very brittle. I also use silica packets, but right now they have just been the ones I find in all the packages my wife gets from the Amazons. I’m not sure where @Orob is located, but I’m in Eastern North Carolina about 10 miles from the beach, and though it does get humid, I haven’t had many issues, though I do keep the printer inside the house with the A/C, so that may be helping.

Mine is in the basement in Minnesota.

Very impressive.

1 Like

Put silica in?

I just (nearly) finished my “tropical 3D printer” setup. I am using “ikea samla” boxes for dry storage:

As a side note: I would not do the “ikea” encasing again. Next time i will use alloy extrusions.

1 Like

That looks like a nice setup as well. I saw several using the plastic bins and I considered it, but there were a few things I didn’t like. One was that when you get them built, it still looks like you have cheap plastic bins sitting around, vs a purpose built enclosure. And two, the idea is to reduce the moisture content in the air and bins with sealing lids are much more expensive. I was able to get a $7 roll of rubber window weatherstripping to go on my enclosure to help seal it. I’m not knocking the bins at all, I know many people go that route. Just wasn’t for me. I don’t yet have a hygrometer in mine yet, but I plan to add one soon so I can monitor how well it performs. I live in Arkansas, so obviously not near the humidity as a tropical/costal location. But we do have a fair share of summer humidity here.

@Arnd Nice set up! As for the silica packets, check out this link: https://www.wasteconnectionsmemphis.com/news/article/nine-ways-to-repurpose-silica-gel-packets-865

I usually find them in the boxes that my wife gets from her online shopping. They are just the little bags/packets that are left over in the boxes. I grab them and throw a couple into the bags my rolls of filament come in. That is until I can get a box or something built. I really like this one that @Spenc has here, and as I have gotten my Maslow back up and running, I am looking to keep using it for various tasks/jobs to keep the Household CFO from giving me the “stare” :unamused: :unamused: (if you know what I mean!) for having it and not using it.

Hi Spenc,

i need to be able to move the setup if necessary. Thats one reason i am using the 22L samla boxes. A big wooden box is too bulky for this.

cheers…

I completely understand! Not trying to downplay what you have in the least. My setup is much more permanent, so unless I decide to re-arrange my workshop I won’t be moving my setup.

I’m also currently working on getting some led lights in mine, as it’s not nearly as easy to check filament levels now.

Also, what kind of 3D printer is that and around how much did it cost? I’ve been looking into possibly getting one.

While waiting for Spenc and Arnd to check in Spenc’s looks like an Ender 3 Pro, like mine but with more printed mods. A very nice economy printer, the latest V2 is somewhat under $300US, my Pro was $200US last summer and now comes with a nice 32b controller (I just upgraded the controller and hotend fan) that makes it close to silent. Arnd’s printer says it’s a Makerbot Replicator 1, the current Replicator+ is around $2K US from a quick search. No experience with that one.

1 Like

Moose is right, mine is an Ender 3 pro. They were on sale for like $219 around Christmas. For my first printer I have been blown away. After hours of YouTube and reading internet docs, I’ve done some basic tuning and have mine running within 0.01mm accurate. Wish I could say the same for my Maslow😅

Did yours come with the 32 bit controller? I’m working through teaching tech’s tuning teaching tech’s tuning tools after swapping the controller and installing capricorn’s tubing. Still some blobbing, used the previous e step numbers for the dual gear extruder and they must be low. Doesn’t help that I’m doing 120mm/s infill

No unfortunately mine also shipped with the old style 1.1.4 board. I’ve been looking at upgrade options and trying to decide if I want to get a Creality 32 bit board or go with some other boards I’ve found. The Teaching Tech videos are the best! I’ve watched several of them myself. I’m wanting to add an ABL sensor on mine too so I’ve watched his tests of the different ones available.

I’m from the probing is best left to aliens days (“leveled” my plywood Printrbot with a digital dial gauge) but otherwise the 4.2.7 update was well worth the money. I got a kit with a quiet hotend fan and capricorn tubing, threading the fan wires through the braid (until I found out sticking a piece of filament through and taping the wires on the retrieval worked was the hardest point. The parts cooling fan is, by far, the noisiest thing on the machine, no stepper noise at all. Not sure the new tubing added anything except some extra friction. The 4.2.7 board has worthy competitors, like the TH3D, but it’s by far the most cost effective and very impressive, and not sure that it’s worth spending well over twice as much to gain digipots. My kit was $50US, ten of that for the accessories.

I’m a big dual geared extruder enthusiast, for under $20 it was a no-brainer. Along with stiffer springs it was the only mod on my E3P prior to this, and installed as soon as I got it. No filament slip or gouging, around 16mm^3/sec flow rate (makergeeks black at 210), and the calibration numbers seem to stay constant with different spools.