L Motor Failure

Purchased the Maslow in June and am finally getting to setting this up. Already had to order a new bearing for the tensioning system (screw broke through and caused the center piece to break free of the bearings).

Nearing the end of the calibration process and the Left Motor will move about 5 degrees CCW and fail - will not turn CW. Running motor test shows L motor 1 and 2 fail. R motor pass and Z axis fail.

Switched cables for L and R motors with R motor failing. Unplugged everything - replugged everything with same issue.

Noticed the sound when L motor kicks on is different than before. Assuming the L motor has been damaged why would the Z-Axis be damaged also.

Any suggestions?

The switch of the cables making the right motor fail makes me think the issue might me with the shield or the shield or the cables, but maybe I am understanding wrong. Did you switch them at the motor end or on the arduino side?

It is normal for them to sound a little different since they run at different PWM frequencies due to pin limitations within the Arduino so I wouldn’t worry too much about the sound difference.

I switched the cables on the Arduino end.

Do you see the same behavior when switching the cables at the motor end? We have seen a wire fail once (so rare, but possible)

I just received my Maslow and in the process of trying to set it up. When I do the motor test I continually have a motor failure. I came across this thread and tried switching the cables and then the opposite motor failed. That indicates that there seems to be a wire failure, Both left and right motors have shown failure depending on which motor the suspected wire failure is connected to. How do I get the wire replaced to check that out? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum @zgrassley!
You’ve done a great jog finding out the issue.

Contact your supplier and ask for a replacement cable.
From whom did you buy the kit?

Kind regards, Gero

I bought it on amazon, I hope that is the issue.

I think the only kit on Amaz is a makermade kit. Is almost everything blue colour?

Yes, blue wires and other parts

I don’t know how complains work with Amaz.
Check if this is your kit:

and try your luck directly with them, if they sold it via amaz my guess is that they would prefer this route.
1 Like

Looks like it, thanks for helping. I will try to get it replaced.

2 Likes

Keep us updated on your wood-chipping! :slight_smile: