Long curves are not smooth

Is there a way to refine the coordination between the two motors when making long curves. Short radius’s and straight lines lines are fantastic. But the long curves are more awkward. At first I thought it might be the sled weight but I find a repeatability with each pass over the same long curve. It makes for alot of sanding to get rid of the bumps

Do you have a picture? Curves can be line segments from the CAD design already.
A copy of .dxf and the .nc could help to rule things out.
What FW and GC version are you running?

1 Like

Are you using stock kinematics or do you have a linkage kit? Believe it or not, but the linkages actually do help make a smoother cut. The stock system allows the sled to deviate, ever so slightly, off the cut path and could be causing the bumps you’re describing.

It may also be wise to invest in a belt sander :wink:

What speed are you cutting at? What router, what type of bit?

Thank you

Should there be a Wiki on how to post a help request? Like a template of all the things that would be useful to include depending on whether you are having a hardware issue, a cutting issue, or a software issue?

1 Like

Yes I agree, The Troubleshooting category was created for this.

2 Likes

This seems a likely cause. Sketchup, for instance, turns curves into series of straight segments when exporting. It does let you choose how many segments, though, so instead of the default (is it 18? Can’t remember) I pick something like 72 segments, which is very much smoother.

2 Likes

I will think on this. I may reach out to you in PM. I wrote several pages and then decided the content did not fit here.

Thank you

I second this. I’ve seen segmented curves especially in files from Sketchup. The default setting for sketchup is to use a pretty low number of lines to define a circle like @blurfl said…maybe 18 or something. For small circles this looks good, but for larger circles you start to see them. There is an option to change the number somewhere.

Thank you…You hit the nail on the head!! The process I was using was to take a picture of the large object and trace it out. It never occurred to me that such line segments, even how small, would show up in the actual work. I am an old hands on wood worker and this CAD and CNC is new to me. I would have finished the original work by now, but I want to be able to replicate it. Thank you!!

4 Likes