M2 z axis runs forever issue. Anyone else solve this one already?

it should say ok and then when you look at the settings below, you will see the defaults. Likely you will need to set $3=4 to reverse the z axis and run the setup calibration again to put in your workpiece offset and motor distance. to set the machine center.

It does seem like z is going the wrong way. I just type that in the promp to reverse?

Still keeps running :frowning:

the thing that I did to fix it was to flash the firmware. If you have done everything else, you need to pull the latest maslowdue firmware (github.makermadecnc.maslowdue), uncomment the v2 line mentioned above and comment the other lines nearby it and then flash it.

I am having the same issue. I reflashed the Due with the build that was on the USB drive that came with the M2 Maker Made. The Z-axis will not stop. Note: The Z axis was working two days ago. Then the arduino + shield hit the floor. Since reflashing doesn’t work, could it be the V2 motor shield? If that might be it, thoughts on debugging is appreciated. Thank you very mucn.

The first fix it to always verify the cables are seated. If cables are in all the way, clear the chip eeprom, and then recenter the unit and set home before doing anything else, then try jogging the sled and be ready to pull the power plug if it goes nuts. Many times the issue is a cable working loose on either the chip or the motor. Zip ties are your friend here.

Orob - thanks for the reply. I have checked and rechecked the cables…but heck, hmmm… interesting, i found this qa.ino file and it seems to work correctly. Which leads me to believe it might be makerverse? but why would it stop working even when i am using the command window?qa.ino

1 Like

I’m having exact same problem. Brand new out of the box M2 purchased March 2021 with aluminum router tower mount frame. I’m doing calibration for the first time inputting dimensions chains and machine frame and when I got to the Z-axis setup page of Calibration the motor went crazy, unscrewed the shaft out of frame, peeled off the belt, and motor kept running…had to learn how to put this new M2 machine into “sleep” mode.

#1: The Z-axis motor is running backwards so after re-attaching belt to Z-axis motor and tightening the belt bracket (which appears to be bending under torque load I might add) I’m went back to calibration page to Z-axis tab and selected “Invert Z-axis motion” and then hit “Move Down” and machine went nuts again…frustrated. Router jammed down into frame, loosened shaft, belt came off again, had to figure out how to turn off machine…not happy here.

#2: how and where do I update the software to resolve this issue? The directions above jump around and leave out basic details such as how do I access the lines of code to modify what is written and/or how do I download the correct software for this brand new machine to control the Z-axis?

I am having a hard time seeing a fluid flowing step by step resolution to this problem. I’m discouraged that out of the box this machine appears to have incorrect software on the thumbdrive? But I’m more interested in pushing past this obstacle if possible.

What is resolution?

This M2 is running on a windows 10 pro computer using makerverse contained on thumbdrive

usually when the motor runs forever, it’s a loose cable, not a software issue.

David Lang

1 Like

Set your home position before you do anything. If it still goes crazy, verify the boards are securely connected together in the case and the z axis motor cable is seated completely on both ends. Often a slight disconnect on the cable will not get the encoder connection so the motor spins, but the brain can’t tell it is moving so it goes and goes.

1 Like

It was indeed a loose connection at Z motor

Thank you!

I’m concerned that it came loose merely by normal handling of adding the sled weights and picking the sled on/off storage hook and process of calibration. It does not seem to be a very secure connector. Is there something I can do to more securely “secure” this wire connection at the Z motor?

1 Like

Glad you found it. Sometimes those erratic moves can be frustrating to fix. You might try looping the cable back past the motor and zip tie it to the motor or add a hook and thread the cable through so if the cable tightened it will pull on your mount point not the plug connection.

Gracious of all of you to help, humbly I thank you all.

I will investigate better securing the Z-axis cable at motor

I’m concerned about the Z-axis steel bracket bending under torque load, is this covered under warranty? Should I be concerned if it seems to function alright otherwise? I’m concerned of metal fatigue from bending stress over time, this bracket hasn’t survived more than a handful of test calibration edge pattern movements with router OFF…so I’m rightfully concerned the added stress forces into that Z-axis motor mount bracket when I start powering up router…

Thoughts?

Picture of M2 and frame assembly

Pict

1 Like