Maslow 4 Collapsible Frame for Horizontal Use

Aloha,

I am eagerly awaiting my Maslow 4 and planning for its use in scenic construction at our local community theater (I live in a 670 square foot condo, so I won’t be using it at home).

The theater is happy to help, but the footprint of a vertical frame is too big for the space available. We can’t set anchors in the stage surface (the only space large enough to build on), but if I could build a collapsible frame for the anchors with a little lift for the workpiece, it could all store nicely and still be very useful. Thoughts/ideas/inspirations?

Mahalo,

3 Likes

I posted before about a frame that could be assembled with a pair of hollow core
doors and a couple of 2x4s. in a theater environment, I’ll bet you could
make/find some panels that could be used for this and be used for other things
as well.

David Lang

4 Likes

I’m thinking about a collapsible frame, too. I have nowhere to store an 8x10ft frame, so I’ve been looking into T-slot extruded aluminum. There are a few comments on the forums about it, one recommending 25mm minimum. The web site says the steel strut channel frame isn’t recommended because steel is springy–I think the aluminum t-slot will fare better. Just the matter of cost :frowning: My idea is to recreate the 2x4 wood frame, but using 25mm x 25mm T-slot and gusseted corner braces. I’d love a cheaper option, though!

1 Like

No idea if this would help, but I was planning to use a Bora Centipede with either 2x or braced/box beamed sheet good outriggers for my setup. I’m in a somewhat similar situation with limited dedicated space or storage options and a desire to take the M4 to site specific jobs, so a collapsible platform is the goal. The Bora Centipede is not the most DIY or cost effective option for sure, but its is a stellar platform for breaking down sheet materials and most carcass assembly work, so there is that use as well.

My M4 is hopefully a day or so out, and I will soon be testing these ideas. It also may be worth a look at some Paulk-style torsion boxes. Those could take outriggers or be assembled as modules to get you the scale you need. So many ways to slice it…

2 Likes