Maslow Electronics Wiring Diagram for Aux Outputs

So I eluded to a wiring diagram in this thread and thought that some people may be curious. In the interest of not hijacking the thread, I’ve made a new one here. Feel free to discuss aux pin uses and other wiring topics below, this can definitely be a free-flow discussion.

Disclaimer, I’m not an electrical engineer and I’ve been known to make mistakes. If anyone sees anything wrong, please let me know. I’d like to know now before I wire everything up and fry the arduino/motor shield/router :persevere:

This is very basic, and really only shows the connections from the motor controller to various components of the machine. I really just wanted to wrap my head around a couple of different features that I want to add to my machine. I am planning an electronics upgrade at some point in the relatively near future. If need be, I may make a cleaner, not hand drawn version at some point.

This diagram covers E-stop, power for the spindle, and auto tool height wiring.

After I get through triangular kinematic tests, a new electrical cabinet with all these features is a top priority of mine. :wink: Once I get to that point I will do a build log.

5 Likes

I’d put the eStop on the 12V DC side in this diagram, switching the AC side will take longer since you need to wait for the power supply capacitance, etc, to run down.

I plan to switch the router with an SSR controlled by aux1 (moose, like SSRs, are cheap) and subject to experimental verification expect that dropping 12V will also kill the power to the router. If not it’ll take another relay to kill that. I’ve been unable to find out if shorting the router’s AC leads will make it stop faster without damaging the electronic speed control, but that’s a possible benefit of using a mechanical relay. Haven’t priced a replacement yet…

1 Like

Thanks Moose! This is one of the reasons why I posted the diagram. :wink:

That makes sense that the capacitors would keep power to the shield in the configuration I have drawn. I would also like to know if dropping the 12v to the SSR will cut power to the router, we’ll have to test that out. When you say it would take another relay to shut the router down, would it simply be another SSR?

As far as hardware, are you refering to one of these? I’m still a bit new to all the different electronic components.

Yes, that’s what I meant, although I got mine from fleabay quite a bit cheaper - and slower and warranty free.

I haven’t been able to find a lot of information on how to quickly stop an AC universal motor, and it’s been so long since I studied motors and power that I don’t remember, but I think shorting their input will work. I’m sure there must be a non-electronified universal motor powered tool somewhere around here to test with that the swamp rats didn’t hide

1 Like

So if i understand correctly, only aux 1 and 4 have a function right now? I’m about to start soldering the connectors, setting the z manually is starting to annoy me.

Here are the presently assigned functions :

SpindlePowerControlPin = aux1;   // output for controlling spindle power
LaserPowerPin = aux2;                  // output for controlling a laser diode
ProbePin = aux4;                           // use this input for zeroing zAxis with G38.2 gcode
2 Likes

I like lasers as much as the next person, but what would they be used for?

Burning things with light, and potentially, cutting things with light.

1 Like

Aah, i was thinking a laser pointer.
Why does it need a different output then a spindle? It doesn’t matter what he would turn on or off no?

1 Like

Here’s the thread that initiated the PR.

2 Likes

It might be nice to have an aux high in case of an error. I’ll attach a red light and siren to that one :grin:.

I am getting a new 500W brushless spindle from china. And I read this

It adds three true PWM pins to the AUX group which might be used for spindle control with some software development.

under the new motor shield/board description located here: http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/TLE5206-PowerControl-Boards.html

So what Aux # controls the spindle and what exactly does it control?

This is the spindle I bought: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Brushless-500W-CNC-Router-Spindle-Motor-ER11-ER16-DC-Machine-Tool-Spindle-55MM-CNC-Clamp-Stepper/32822503848.html?spm=a2g0z.search0104.3.1.b90b4450MIRBGH&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10130_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10548_10341_315_10545_10696_5013115_10084_531_10083_10618_10307_10059_100031_5013415_5013215_10103_5013315_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_6,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=ffa630da-dfaf-4685-8b78-955279ac2d4d-0&algo_pvid=ffa630da-dfaf-4685-8b78-955279ac2d4d&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

this is the pin you want to solder on the board
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wurth-electronics-inc/61300311121/732-5316-ND/4846825

or if you want the pin and cable combined :

To date, no one has done the software development. There’s an opportunity :wink:

If memory serves, gpio pins D44-46 are AUX7-9 on the TLE5206 board, and those are PWM capable.

3 Likes

ok cool. I will add pins to aux 1, 4, 7, 8, 9 on my board just in case. thanks for your help, now off to learn eagle cad component placement!

You really don’t want to add separate components for those headers - very, very much will break. This is a part that will populatge all the AUX holes (9 x 3) See if you can just tell the board house to install this in the board without altering the PCB layout.

1 Like

Thanks so much, yes that component is MUCH better solution!

I would see a need for following aux functions:

1. Estop (we would probably not rely on the arduino, but have the estops connected to a relay that shuts power to router/spindle and maslow control board/motors
  2. Spindle on/off (this has been implemented)
  3. Laser on/off (I would use this for laser X-hairs). For true lasercutter control we would want to implement spindle speed control so we can control laser power
  4. Spindle speed control - Most spindles take a 0-10v signal, so could use PWM to get a 0-5V signal, and use an opamp or external module to convert the 0-5V to 0-10V
    e.g. https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Digital-Analog-Tranformer-Converter/dp/B00UIZKYAS
  5. Z- limit switch
    6)Z+ limit switch
    7/8) limit switches for chains (e.g. to detect chain wrapped around sprocket, or sled pulled against sprocket

If there is sufficient interest, I can start by implementing the spindle speed function.

1 Like

I would see a need for following aux functions:

1. Estop (we would probably not rely on the arduino, but have the estops connected to a relay that shuts power to router/spindle and maslow control board/motors

I am a big advocate of something like:
https://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

1. Spindle on/off (this has been implemented)
  1. Laser on/off (I would use this for laser X-hairs). For true lasercutter control we would want to implement spindle speed control so we can control laser power
  1. Spindle speed control - Most spindles take a 0-10v signal, so could use PWM to get a 0-5V signal, and use an opamp or external module to convert the 0-5V to 0-10V
    e.g. https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Digital-Analog-Tranformer-Converter/dp/B00UIZKYAS

there is sufficient interest, please do implement this :slight_smile:

1. Z- limit switch
    6)Z+ limit switch
    7/8) limit switches for chains (e.g. to detect chain wrapped around sprocket, or sled pulled against sprocket

re: limit switches, most CNC machines that I have seen use the same pin for both
limit switches on an axis, it depends on knowing what direction it was moving to
know what switch it triggered (and generally back off just enough to not trigger
the switch so that it doesn’t start up with an unknown limit switch triggered)

limit switches for the chain are very hard to do given the wide range of angles
that the chain can have. The utility of such switches is also somewhat murky,
you can’t use them for homing, and it’s not clear how much a limit switch can
protect you from chain wrap or other problems.

1 Like

those would be nice features, however hardly anyone is using a spindle. the 500/600 Chinese ones are not that powerfull, require a new z axis set up and use power suppliest that require high voltage wiring something not everyone is comfortable working with.

I would be interested in the Z axis limit switches. One could simply dethread the top and bottom parts of the lead screw so it physically couldn’t ram the router too far down or up.