New to Linux (Ubuntu 16.04)

Just looking for some help installing the Arduino and Ground Control software. I have loaded an old VISTA laptop with ubuntu 16.04 (just getting used to it now) I have no idea where to go from here. I had just gotten everything working (VISTA) and the laptop crapped out halfway through my first cut(since calibration)

So, I have the same laptop (maybe not the wisest-but I’ll keep with it till I can’t) I have downloaded the Arduino software - and cannot figure out how to install it. The terminal interface doesn’t scare me, but I have no idea where to start. I just found out recently what the heck sudo means. Also, which file do I download for Ground Control? I’m sure I’m not looking in the right place, but still don’t see it.

Is there a guide for new to linux users? I would like to think I have half a clue, but after several hours, I thought it prudent to ask

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to add that the people that make up this group are some of the most helpful and respectful I have come across in a very long time. It’s nice to have a group of like-minded individuals with the same goals in mind.

1 Like

http://playground.arduino.cc//Linux/Ubuntu
this should get you up and running with the arduino.

havent installed GC on ubuntu yet…

1 Like

@Gordo

Here are the steps to get Ground Control on Ubuntu

Please let me know if you hit any bumps along the way.

What area are you in?

Thank you

Central New York - thanks for the quick replies

would love to compare notes with someone in person

1 Like

Welcome @Gordo

Here is a little guide how to install GroundControl on Ubuntu Having a shot at building a distro (using Ubuntu Mate i386)

plus the guide that @pyrosrock pointed to to install arduino.

2 Likes

Welcome, the links above should get you started. If you face a specific issue, just ask. I have installed Kivy and run GroundControl so far on Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Mate and on the Arch-Linux based Manjaro.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service.

2 Likes

My pleasure