Potential virus in index.html.gz (TrojanScript/Wacatac.H!ml)

I just tried downloading the latest files from this week and my Chrome browser blocked index.html.gz with virus detected per the screenshot. I haven’t had issues downloading this in the past few weeks. Any ideas? Hopefully my browser / Windows Defender are overreacting…

1 Like

Am quite certain that I didn’t put a virus in the index.html.gz file :smiley:

I did update some code in there though so it’s possible that one of my changes is upsetting the Windows Defender.

That seems like a hassle to deal with so I’d like to make that warning not pop up if we can.

I wouldn’t think you would of course, wondering if you could repost the file to Github, I don’t know if you can do a text comparison on the different versions. I tried downloading it with a different name but it still blocked it. I also tried downloading previous versions with these results:
v0.68: failed / virus detected - 156 kb
v0.67: failed / virus detected - 155 kb
v0.66: success - 154 kb
v0.65: success - 154 kb
v0.64: success - 168 kb

The files are all here: GitHub - MitchBradley/ESP3D-WEBUI: A Web UI for ESP8266 or ESP32 based boards connected to 3D printers / CNC

But unfortunately I haven’t been doing releases on that repo so it might be slightly difficult to track down where the dividing lines between version numbers are.

If I can only download v0.66 index.html.qz file, do you know if I need to match firmware and everything else on my machine within the context or can I mix and match files? Use the latest firmware, yaml, but v0.66 index.html.qz?

Unfortunately most of the improvements are in that file. I think that we’re going to need to find a way to override the antivirus

Can confirm we are getting the same warning but from both the .bin and html files on our Win 11, Win10 Pro and Win 7 machines. Release 0.67 is still fine for us though.

1 Like

So I did get it updated using a Raspberry Pi to download it first and then upload to Maslow4

1 Like

I suppose one option to resolve this would be to get Maslow to update itself directly (on click or automatically) and not require I download the files first on a different machine. I don’t know how difficult that would be and understand it’s not a high priority compared to other features.

1 Like

John H. wrote:

I suppose one option to resolve this would be to get Maslow to update itself
directly (on click or automatically) and not require I download the files
first on a different machine. I don’t know how difficult that would be and
understand it’s not a high priority compared to other features.

whatever is triggering this false positive will probably disappear in a version
or two as the code changes, please keep checking.

David Lang

1 Like

I’m happy to report that v0.69 downloaded without issue. All is well again! Thanks

1 Like