Sawdust Everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Hi All, in the few test cuts I made with my [Temp Frame] Maslow, I noticed that sawdust went EVERYWHERE. This was with a relatively powerful shop vac hooked up to the dust collection port on the Rigid R-2200 router. I tried a second set of cuts with a different vac and had the same issue. In all the test cut videos, I’m not seeing the level of sawdust getting sprayed everywhere like I’m seeing.

Does anyone have any tricks for making sure the vacuum sucks away more dust during cutting? Any photos of your Rigid Routers with dust collection hooked up that you can share? Here’s mine:

2 Likes

well, one thing is that you don’t have the clear plastic dust shield covering the router opening opposite where the hose attaches

8 Likes

That must be it. Lemme dig that back out of the box… :flushed:

5 Likes

Most shopvacs have an inny and an outy for the hose. Are you sure you’re plugging the hose into the inny?

1 Like

I would definitely check what @akamcfly mentioned, my shop vac leaves virtually no chips or dust so something must be odd there. Also I would suggest running the router as it is set up in the picture and not adding the clear piece on the front of the router. By leaving that off, you give the air somewhere to flow. The router draws air upward so by closing off the front portion, your vacuum will be working against the router and try to pull air against the router fan as there is no other place for the air to flow.

Good suggestion @akamcfly . I am 100% sure I’m using the vac on the inny hose, because I’m using it to clean up sawdust after running the router.

@brazz04, I had the same thought process- that leaving the router open like that would improve airflow and help the vac, but I’ve used the router on and off the Maslow without it (and with two different vacs) and had sawdust everywhere. I kind of forgot that the clear plastic front cover that @dlang mentioned even existed since I took it off the router right when I got it and forgot to put it back on. I’m hopefully going to do some test cuts today with the cover on and will report back how it goes.

2 Likes

Also, with the plastic shield in place, there is a small but noticeable suction pulling the sled against the work sheet

2 Likes

sawdust everywhere
sound like you are doing something right
I know watching sawdust being made puts a smile on my face.
the plastic piece makes a big difference I lost my first one trying to take it off in mid cut and the router ate it.

3 Likes

Sounds like this needs to be CADed up to be printed as a replacement part. I think they are $2.50 as a replacement order but then theres shipping and such.

Thank you

3 Likes

Maybe somebody could start a suggested router spare part list in the Wiki, average out the shipping cost. Both plastic inserts, several z buttons, etc. Along with suggested sources, both US and elsewhere

3 Likes

Just so everyone knows, adding that clear plastic piece completely solved my sawdust issues!

11 Likes

Pictures of the solution please…

1 Like

Here’s a quick video I put on Instagram a couple of days ago. Shows the plastic front cover on the router pretty nicely. I can take a still next time I’m at the shop…

1 Like

Thank you for posting the video… (:O)

1 Like

@GSedam, Since this is a public forum, I’d suggest considering removing your phone number and email address from your signature. Bots may scrap that information and you’ll get lots of lovely spam/phone calls.

1 Like

Thank you. Is there a means to delete my post?

I found the solution. Thank you…

3 Likes

I second removing your phone and email, just too easy to scrape and use them in ways you likely don’t want. Besides phone and email scammers/spammers you need to watch out for swamp rats.

Your phone and email disappeared right in front of my eyes, just as you made your post. Guess that means your edits were successful

2 Likes

Bookmarked your website as it’s relevant to my interests. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Is the shop vac directly attached to the router or just in close proximity? Edit… I just watched a review of the Ridgid, and it showed the vacuum attachment. Home Depot says there is no Dust Collection included.

There’s a vacuum port attachment included with the router. You plug the hose of you vacuum to it. Not sure why they say it isn’t included

2 Likes