Seattle Space Needle Coat Rack

Just finished up my new coat rack. Now I just need to set up my booth down at Pike Place market to sell them and make my fortune.

We just couldn’t let SF beat us with the Sutro Tower coat rack.

12 Likes

WOOOOOOAH :astonished:

2 Likes

Woah is right! That looks incredible!

I LOVE the way you did the bend in the uprights with the notch in the wood. Super cool!

I think you really nailed it.

I actually played around with designing a Space Needle coat rack too, but life got in the way and I haven’t had a chance to build it yet, here was my take on it although I think yours is cooler :grinning: :

2 Likes

Awesome job! If you wouldn’t mind, was this from a scratch project or a sliced 3d model found online? I’ve had plenty of ideas down this road and I know there’s more than one way to render the result (rack the coat, so to speak).

If there were things you learned on this build, I’d love to hear about it!

This project was built completely from scratch. I’ve been working in the video game industry for over 20 years, focusing on 3D modeling and world building, and I also studied industrial design, so the design process felt pretty natural. The Maslow is an incredible machine that helps me bring my designs from the computer screen into real life! I just wish I had more free time to devote to it as a hobby.

One of the main things I learned was getting familiar with both the tool and the software, especially when it came to nailing the right tolerances. I had some difficulty with that and had to use hand tools to make things fit. I plan to refine the design as I go, and I’m definitely making more.

I scaled the design down to fit two racks on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. One thing I regret with this first version is using basic plywood from the big box store. In hindsight, I should have spent the extra money on a high-quality Baltic Birch sheet from a place like Crosscut Hardwoods here in town.

3 Likes