Sled svg file incompatible with Inkscape

Does anyone know what causes the SVG not rendering in inkscape?
I try to gain more insight in Ink-issues.

I just tried to open sled.svg and firefox also isn’t able to display the graphic

Edit
Inkscape exits with: Failed to load the requested file Sled.svg (the one currently on gitgub)
Firefox does not render the file. And displays the plain xml as text

Super useful software. When I lost access to a plotter I picked this up and have never looked back.

1 Like

I’m able to view the sled file in Chrome (and Firefox and whatever Windows browser is called now) but I can’t open it in InkScape either. I don’t get any errors, however, just a document with a selectable, but not viewable object. I downloaded the entire Mechanics-master as a zip file.

It does open in Illustrator, however. The only weird thing I see (in Illustrator) is that the stroke is set to “0”. You can view it in Outline mode.

Try this SVG file… I saved this out of Illustrator. See if you can open it in InkScape; I can.

EDIT: Hmmm… that link doesn’t seem to be working. Let’s try this:

SledAI

EDIT2: Well that’s just weird (the way it displays) but I think you should be able to download it.

For some reason i’m unable to download your file.

I would be good if all the Github files could be opened in Open software by default.
This is a bit of a pain…

I’m not in a hurry for this file, just putting inkscape to the test whenever i see someone struggle with it.

The svg’s in github are generated with onshape right?

So my first guess is that onshape never tested if any of their output’s work in inkscape.

Can you right-click on the big black circle and then “Save link as…” (or whatever your browser’s equivalent is)

I’m pretty sure the SVG’s were output from InkScape. (At least I think so… Bar is an Inkscape user)

If you can manage to get it downloaded and verify it works in Inkscape I’ll add it to the GitHub repository and submit a pull request.

2 Likes

OK, I managed to open it
thanks.

I had to change the infill color of the big sled circle, then the mount holes became visible

One of the chain mount hole countersinks seems to be missing (the most upper left one)

Also Inkscape sees the file default setting as px. So the actual dimensions seem to be off when I change this to mm This seems to have 373 mm diameter. Or is that correct? I have 320 mm in my mind as being the diameter, not sure where i picked that up. :slight_smile:

In Inkscape, can you change your view selection to “outline” and see if that recess is there, but colored wrong?

I don’t actually know what the sled size is supposed to be.

I’ll give that a try when i get home (i’m about to pack) and can’t find how to “view selection to outline” right now.

Thanks @TheRiflesSpiral

The size could be correct, I probably had 12 inch vinyl records in mind (thats about 320mm).
I soon will get an ‘out of memory error’ from my brain… :smile:

1 Like

I can’t recall the menu item but the keyboard command is Ctrl+5. Keep pressing it until all the lines are hairline thickness and there’s no fill.

1 Like

sled-a
When I downloaded the black svg, in inkscape there was no stoke set but fill. Selected all and set no fill and stoke to black.

2 Likes

i took an alternative approach and used grey scales, layers and inkscape guides to get the positions

sled crossguides inkscape

This is the first time i used guides in inkscape and it works like a dream
for some reason the center hole does not render in firefox not sure why, I doublechecked re-uploaded and again it’s not renderig in FF.

Guides and snap to center of an object to guides works very nice to touch up the details.

Over on G+ Skorch has mentioned some SVG weirdities he’s run into with his K40 M2Nano software. While not as bad as DXF/DWG files it’s not pothole free

K40 as in China Laser??
I have played with a china laser with LaserCut Software that also had lots of SVG weirdness

Yep. It’s called K40 Whisperer, uses the stock controller, no dongle required iirc, so it can coexist with LaserDRW and Corel.

1 Like

Thanks for the Big Print file! When I printed it out and put it all together, my sled Diameter is exactly 17" across. But elsewhere (in this thread), it says the final sled is 18". Has anyone used this drawing? Did yours come out 17" or 18"?

17" is correct for the version this was generated from. You could check by comparing the chain bracket mounting holes. There’s no magic about sled diameter, though. A larger sled might be needed for one of the triangular linkages.

1 Like

I’m not sure I have any definitive resolution to this issue.

First off, Inkscape is not opening the SVG files correctly for me as well. I suspect what’s going on is that Inkscape handles different units and scales incorrectly. I’ve had troubles in the past with exporting Inkscape create SVGs under non pixel units (mm, say) and having to hard code a rescaling factor because Inkscape refused to generate SVGs that had the proper units in them. Though I’m a little unclear as to what the underlying issue is, I notice some traffic with the “dpi” settings and other unit issues in Inkscape’s bug tracker, specifically bug #16700913 “… using mm as units and scale of 1 causes problems”, which has activity as recent as 2017-05.

Under Linux, I’ve had luck opening the SVG provided by the MaslowCNC Mechanics repo under a tool called karbon. Using karbon, I can open the MaslowCNC files fine, save as SVG and then open them in Inkscape. I’ve put the converted SVGs into my own repo:

I’ve confirmed that they can be viewed in the version of Inkscape that I have (0.91). If the MaslowCNC folks want me to push this to their main repo somewhere, I’d be happy to oblige.

I’m still confused about the discrepancy in the sled diameter. Looking at the SVG for the sled, the diameters is 18.02". Looking at the GCocde provided by in the MaslowCNC repo, the diameter is 17.1645", accounting for the routing bit diameter.

Looking at the Sled.svg, you can see the inner holes meant for the brick brackets have a diameter of 0.28", which I interpret as 0.25" with 0.03" headroom for the 0.25" bolt that is to go through.

I don’t know how they’re creating the GCode files and why there’s an approximate 0.84" difference between the SVG and the GCode files. Does anyone have insight into this?

2 Likes

I would love that! If you’ve got versions which fix the issue let’s use them!

I’m betting that this is a matter of the gcode being from an older version of the sled which was slightly smaller size. I think we should just not be providing gcode and only send out the .svg files. I’ve created a pull request to delete the old gcode files here

1 Like

Pull request submitted here. I hope there aren’t any problems.

OK, thanks, that clears things up!

2 Likes

Thanks for the fix @abetusk !!! :+1: :+1: