SVG Export from Sketchup

I am currently using Sketchup for my Models as this is what I currently use for all my 2D and 3D drawings. I am hoping to avoid having to use another package as all my tiny home models are in ketchup.

I am currently using Sketchup Make 2017.

What I need to be able to do on my Mac Book Pro is export a SVG file from Sketchup that I can load into maker cam.

Is anyone using Sketchup 2017 and able to export to SVG format? Youtube video refers to FlightOfIdeas Plugin but seems to be no reference to this in Sketchup 2017 Extensions Manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also posted this question in the Sketchup Community Forums but no reply yet.

Kind Regards Stuart

1 Like

I use this extension - pick the latest version - with Sketchup Make 2017. The install is described in those links, but I used the red ‘Install Extension’ button at the bottom of the Extension Manager to load it. I might have needed to quit Sketchup to make it appear, and its pretty tiny - hard to spot on the screen!

1 Like

Thanks Blurfl. I will give it a go and see if I can get it to work. Great to know there is the option in Sketchup Make 2017.

I will let you know how you go.

Want to get my flat folding chair cut on the maslow for my tiny house project - Starting small.

Kind Regards Stuart

1 Like

I want to see your tiny homes!

Thank you

At this stage can only get the plugin installed in Sketchup Make 2016. Can see the plugin just can’t get it to save the file but getting closer.

Kind Regards Stuart

It’s the one that says ‘SVG’ on it, not the one with the mosquito, yes?

Yes the Plugin shows SVG and the dialog comes up and you try to save however nothing is saved into the selected folder. I have the name and path then save again on the bottom button but nothing.

Stuart

Ok, I’ve given you a bad link. This link has a download link for Joakim Söderberg’s fork, and I’ve just installed v1.2 and had joy with the save button. The correct one looks so:
40 PM
and the one that doesn’t work so:
33 PM
After setting the file name and using the … button to choose a folder, then the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the SVG Export dialog gives this:
20 PM

I’ve just gone through the sequence of installing the bad one, failing to save, then disabling it, applying that change, quitting Sketchup, downloading the v1.2 file, back in Sketchup Extension Manager installing the new one, and saving an .svg file.
I’m sorry I wasted your time with the bad link. I’ll go back and edit it out of my post to keep others from wasting their time.

1 Like

Not at all Blurfl you have pointed me in the right direction and saved me a great deal of time and frustration so greatly appreciated.

I will try and work my way though it and let you know how I get on.

I will try with 2016 first then see if I can get it to work in 2017

You think the Sketchup group would make it simple for makers but appress not.

Stuart

2 Likes

Making progress thanks Blurfl.

I have now been able to install and export a SVG file from Sketchup 2016 and open it in maker cam woo hoo.

Now I am trying to get it to work in Sketchup Make 2017 as this is what my 3D Micro home models are saved in.

In Sketchup Make 2017 there is no Extensions in the Preferences Section so how did you install the plugin in Sketchup Make 2017.

Again thanks for all your time on this greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards Stuart

2 Likes

In the Window menu look for Extensions Manager. I know, obvious, right?
Good news about the .svg file!

Thanks for that Blurfl, Finally got it working now in Sketchup Make 2017.

Are you using MakerCam for the CAM part or something else?

Kind Regards Stuart

I really like Easel, both for working with .svg files and for drafting simple shapes. Have to register, but the free version does all I need (the paid version does vcarving). It’s aimed at smaller machines but allows you to define any machine size under the machine menu. It doesn’t know about bits bigger than 1/8" but again, use custom to define larger. Export to gcode is under Machine/Advanced. It handles tabs and pockets nicely.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Blurfl, I will have a look as not fixed on any CAM product just wanted to avoid using another modelling package but thanks to your great help I can stay with Sketchup.

Kind Regards Stuart

1 Like