Switching Computers

Ok right now my Maslow is running on my laptop. I have a dedicated desktop machine that I’ll be moving everything over to so I don’t ruin my laptop with all the dust, etc. I also have a longer active USB cable on the way, to allow me to use my desktop in the adjacent room, and keep it free from dust as well.

My question.

How do I move GroundControl over to the new desktop, to eliminate a recalibration? Just copy the file folder and the ini over to the new computer? Or am I destined to have to recalibrate? I’m trying not to because my maslow is running so good, and my circles are circles and not eggs. lol

You just need to install ground control and just copy the groundcontrol.ini file from your current PC to your new one. It’s normally found in the

C:users\<your user name>

directory. Put it in the same place on the new PC and you won’t have to recalibrate.

With that said, you will likely see people saying that putting the computer in a different room is a dangerous proposition since you may not have a readily available means to issue an emergency stop.

1 Like

I can see that being an issue as well. In the event that I need to stop it quickly, I’d have to run into the ‘control room’ and stop it. My setup is a little more forgiving in a way, that my shop was originally a recording studio, the room the computer will be in has a giant glass window looking into the room my maslow is in. There is only 1 door between me and the maslow, which is usually never closed. I’m only 5’ from it at all times. So hopefully I won’t run into any issues, but trust me, if I see there will be even a hint of concern, I will position the computer in the same room again.

Search “emergency stop” in the forum about solutions… might be worthwhile to implement one.

Thanks, will definitely do that! I did forget to mention that I do have the power to the Maslow, in the room where I’m at. So to kill the power to the router and Aurduino, is literally inches away at all times. I made sure of that first off so I wouldn’t have to run to the machine itself in the event of an emergency.