The Blue Smoke Herder Shield - AKA the New Maslow Shield (TLE5206)

Hello. I’ve made this board, and I have problem. It is not working. Should be there any changes to firmware? Leds are on, I have 12v on tle5206, PWM is close to 0,8v but no voltage on Output.

Can you send a picture of the board please?

Thank you

1 Like

I got my BSHS board (with programmed & tested Arduino) yesterday (I’m in Canada, so had some customs delays) and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I “finished” my Maslow 6 weeks ago and have been troubleshooting ever since - yet to get a successful cut… until yesterday! After weeks of re-making cables, replacing Motors, trying various power supplies, and countless Software re-installing & configuring, I swapped in the board and Shield that Bee sent me and everything Just Works. (My suspicion is that the shield I had was bad).

So, for those fighting with the " The sled is not keeping up with it’s expected position" problem, upgrading your old Shield to this new version is a possible solution.

Thanks @Bee!

P.S. in case you’ve not seen the warning elsewhere; this new shield needs an insulating pad between it and the Arduino. Without it, you may short the shield’s 12V input to the USB jack below, to fry your Arduino (like I did :frowning: … good thing I ordered the spare Arduino from Bee when I ordered the Shield)

4 Likes

Where can an “insulating pad” be purchased? I have yet to set my system up, so this has not been an issue.

use a few pieces of electrical tape or duct tape or even a thin piece of card stock like a cereal box anything to prevent metal to metal contact.

2 Likes

I use a piece of electrical tape on the Arduino port then a piece of 3m 2 way foam tape on top of the electrical tape.

Thank you

1 Like

This is custom made board without aux pins, but this is the only difference from the original tle5206 design. For now I believe that this is cause of all TLE5206 I ordered from China, all of them seems to be dead from factory.

I’m sorry to hear that. If you want to message me off line maybe we can find a work around.

:frowning:

1 Like

New user to the forum, working on building one of these machines and am trying to find parts instead of an entire kit. Is the New Maslow Shield still being produced? this thread seems to have died out all of a sudden. I’m interested in an unpopulated board or, the entire assembly. let me know…
Kelly

Hi Kelly.

I have a few unpopulated TLE5206 v1.4 boards sitting around collecting dust. They are the through-hole version I had fabricated last fall from the PCB files in the Community Garden. I’d be willing to share! If you want one just PM me with your mailing address and I’ll send one out to you.

Vance

1 Like

Sent PM - I hope :slight_smile:

Hi kelly!

I’m pleased to inform you the TLE2506 shields are back in stock. :slight_smile:

Check it out https://www.eastbaysource.com/products/power-control-shield-based-on-the-tle5206-h-bridge-from-infineon-technologies

Regards
Gab

4 Likes

Hey, I wanted to pull a recommendation from another post into this thread.

There was a recommendation to put a 0.01 uf capacitor on the receiver end of the encoder wires. This reduced the high frequency electrical noise coming from the wires, and reduced/eliminated the occurrence of false positive and negative pulse-detections. Can capacitors be added to the board, to serve this purpose? We need to be careful to appropriately size the capacitors, so they don’t cause missed pulses.

Here is a link to the thread:

1 Like

Hi folks! ( I must change something in the body for discourse to allow the post)

I’m experimenting with this and am contributing to this on this thread:

Let’s concentrate on one thread rather than fragmenting?

Thank you

1 Like

Gab, thanks for the reply, I accepted vancek’s offer of a free unpopulated board. I like building PCB’s otherwise I’d take you up on your offer. I do need a Z axis motor, where can I find one of those?

Kelly

Kelly –

I do not have the stock motor, but I was able to buy this motor to go with my upgraded gantry. It may be under-geared if you are using the stock router though. And you will need to adjust your settings to reflect that gear change if you use this motor.

Thanks Chris, that motor looks good and if I can’t find an original I will probably grab it. Do you know or anyone else what the gear ratio of the original motor is? I see that this motor is 131:1 Since this is my first machine, I want to be able, as much as possible, keep it original so I don’t have to figure out too much when it doesn’t work.

Edit: I just realized you are looking for the z motor. This is the main motor. Seeing the 131 reference primed my brain for the main motor.

http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Maslow-CNC-Motor.html

There was a lot of discussion on this and how to count the gears to determine the ratio. The mfg had it wrong (131, I believe) and that info has been spread around, unfortunately. Only way to know for sure is to buy from the link.

Guess the conclusion was 289.776:1

I should have been more clear, I’m trying to locate an equivalent Z axis motor which leads back to what the original “Z” axis motor’s ratio is. Is it 289.776:1 ? or is that number only for the X and Y motors? I found this motor which looks the same : https://www.cqrobotshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1042 ratio is: 90:1 which might be too fast and the one Chris recommended: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N755EJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is 131:1 I just want to find something as close to original to ensure success when I turn this thing on. I appreciate the input that everyone has offered, I almost didn’t post at all when I saw how old the last post was. Glad I did, you’ve been most helpful !

Kelly