The Meticulous Z-Axis

Another update:

So I trimmed ~3/16 from the clamp and solved that issue. I opted not to sand or grind it off as this is printed PLA, (layers of plastic). I used the bandsaw and sealed the cut area with CA glue.

I was then having trouble with the new Z-axis motor, nothing responded as expected even with the correct values entered. So a little digging and I came across this post:

I was having similar symptoms and my motor was manufactured by the same company and included the same diagram.

I can comfirm the correct wiring for this motor (in addition to the one in the post above) is same color to same color with the exception of the orange (original maslow z-axis cable) to Blue (motor wires).

So at this point things are getting better but the z-axis is not accurately traveling the distance I ask it to. I tried pretty much every work around people have talked about on this forum. It was moving about twice the distance I comanded.

I ended up doubling the encoder steps (after trying everything else in vain) and was able to produce repeatable accurate results and a speed more along the lines of what I expected.
The documentation: (Metal DC Geared Motor w/Encoder CQGB37Y001 - CQRobot-Wiki)

It calls for 2688 steps per revolution. I double it to 5,376. Then I was getting 18 mm when I asked for 20mm. So 18/20=0.9, 1-.9=.1, 1.1x5,376=5,913.6, I rounded to 5,914. I know some of y’all are really sharp on this stuff, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 5,914 is working really well and produces accurate results. The pitch on the lead screw is 8mm per revolution. Both Pulleys are 16 tooth, 8mm bore.

Here is the equipment I used in case it helps someone else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5QT71K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J7BBX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(I only needed the female connector to solder the motor leads to in order to plug in the original z-axis cable.

I ordered all this stuff back in 2018, wow, I stay pretty busy but I didn’t think is was than long ago. But, except for changing some of the calibration numbers, (I still need to run calibration, but may just need to double check the distance from chain to bit center) this z-axis project is done. This setup is faster and more accurate than the stock z-axis but, not lighting fast. This is what I was hoping for and I am pretty satisfied so far, been a long road but I think I am there.

The clamp I printed and the discussion can be found earlier in this thread, if I get around to modifying the clamp I will post it on this thread.

Cheers!

3 Likes