What did you cut today?

I used this kayak trailer as a base:

https://maloneautoracks.com/MicroSport-TM-LowBed-TM-2-Boat-Trailer.html

It’s a bit pricey but it’s very much worth it. The long tongue lets me move the weight forward further and makes it very solid to pull even in such a small car. I do have some kayaks I plan to haul with it, just need to design and cut those attachments.

Here is one of the dozen loads I hauled while moving recently:

This box was also cut on my Maslow. So many hours waiting for each hole to be cut…

I do plan on making a community garden entry after getting the kayak holder done.

7 Likes

Basicly a test. I did made a small rack from Plywood with a handfull of layers of polyurethane finishing and 90 Degree, small 3D printed connectors from PETG. The ABS+ connector version did break easily but thats probably due to choosing a wrong infill pattern.

screeny

8 Likes

That’s awesome. I think that the idea of combining 3D printing with CNC is something that has a lot of potential. I’d like to try to explore that approach too.

Silhouette cutouts… Even with flaky z axis. 2 sheets 1/4 ply and quick primer for a dinner decoration. 1/8" bit.

6 Likes

Check out this video, shells (aka perimeters) are at least as important as infill for strength

So made these this last week/weekend:
Army_AF Logos
A guy I work for is making some Ammo Crate boxes for his family and asked me for these so he could put them on the crates. Poplar about 7/16" thick. Bits I used were 1/8" O-Flute (single flute) (FR: 23.6ipm, DOC: 1/16" stepdown to 3/16" and 7/16", RPM: 11,500) and 60* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, DOC: 3/16", RPM: 25,000 - I learned for V-carving that RPMs needed to go way up, and I slowed the feed rate down to get nice clean cuts).

Here’s the finished boxes after he glued them on and then stained them!

MGuns2
MGuns3MGuns4
MGuns5MGuns6
MGuns7
Another guy I work with asked for some Master Gunnery Sergeant rank insignias (USMC E-9). Made from black walnut, 1/4" thick. Bits I used were: Center engrave: 35* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, RPM: 25000, DOC: 0.06"), Pockets: 1/8" O-Flute (single flute) (FR: 23.6ipm, DOC: 1/16" stepdown to .25", RPM: 11,500), and V-carve/bevels: 60* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, DOC: 1/8", RPM: 25,000). Pictures are in order of process - engrave, pocket, advance V-carve, contour (bevel on the stripes), contour (perimeter cuts).

Images were pulled form the web and were either already .svg or created from .jpg and converted to .svg through Inkscape. Layout and CAM done through Carbide Create (free version).

Thanks for stopping by and looking!

6 Likes

First project ever. 18”x1” pine round from Lowes. Prestained and then rough cut with 1/8” upcut bit then finished with 60° v-bit. Sealed with semi-gloss polyurethane.

12 Likes

Two machine project. Backing and outer ring made from 1/5” ply with 1/8” downcut. Inner layers cut on a Cricut out of craft paper.

12 Likes

That is splendid!

I haven’t seen those two tools combined like that before. They really compliment each-other. Nicely done!

Finally got around cutting my first 4X8 3/4 inch birch plywood! (in 4 steps)
“That chair” with an orange twist and 3 “Balance Boards”

15 Likes

Do you have a picture of what you mean by attaching bungee cords to the router? I think that may resolve an issue I’m having as well. When the z drive raises the router it loses some contact with the board, leaving uneven cuts. Thanks!

Take your handles off (if not done already) and then put the hooks of the bungee cord into the screw holes with it going over the top of the router. you want it just tight enough that it keeps the router seated down in the base and doesn’t wiggle too much.

2 Likes

Are the balance board designs available? I use a Whirly Board during work (OneWheel after work) and have been wanting to try some of the other balance board designs.

How did the chair turn out with higher grade plywood? I tried it once with some scrap construction grade stuff and it didn’t feel strong enough without a piece connecting the legs front to back.

Latest project was a tree for my brother’s family:

Lessons learned:

• Thinner ply (this was 6mm birch) requires more care/more tabs to prevent edges lifting and catching the sled as it moves.
  • Cutter sharpness has a significant impact on cut accuracy, and straight flute bits dull quickly. I’ll be sticking to spiral cutters from now on.
8 Likes

Hi everyone,
First time engraving with Maslow to make drawers fronts and some tests.
4mm depth, 80° bit, 500mm/min speed, Engraving went very well :slight_smile: But a lot of work had to be done in painting to obtain a neat surface. Maybe some of you have tips to make the finishing process more efficient ?
motifTamGram_vignette
DressingFacade_vignette
Dressing_Facade_Face_vignette

6 Likes

My latest projects, as requested by my children. A princess castle bed, and a “digger” bed. These are the kinds of projects that used to give me jigsaw nightmares :rofl:

Now for the sanding, and painting, and then I’ll be installing led lighting in both.

19 Likes

Awesome work!

2 Likes

Woah those are so cool! Lucky kids :grinning:

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Changing the sheets would kill my back though.

3 Likes

Are the cuts for the balance boards available?