What did you cut today?

Thanks @bar for your feedback. Yes, that’s mine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cut a quick design for a phenolic spacer for my Subaru STI. Basically G10 fiberglass, video is here: Cutting a phenolic spacer on the maslowcnc 2x speed - YouTube

Using the Metal Maslow sled and z-index with an 1/8" 2 flute up spiral. The plunge rate was slower than it needed to be but the cut came out really well.

Still need to clean the tabs off in that picture.

3 Likes

What it finally looks like …

10 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

New basement door so the cat can access her litter box but the dog cannot.

7 Likes

New dining room table! Includes hidden leveling feet, holes for wires/lighting, and hidden box joints so I can cover the leg edges with veneer to hopefully get a solid wood look.

Frame underneath. I initially planned on attaching a skirt around the top edge but the top was stiff enough that I didn’t bother. The spikes sticking out were intended to attach to the skirt but I may cut them off now to save knees.

Assembled the day before my family showed up for an early Thanksgiving celebration, “finished” with a table cloth for now.

7 Likes

New and improved attachments to my utility trailer for hauling plywood.

There are slots around the base that the parts slide into. Once in place I can lock them down with trailer pins going through the tabs into the trailer frame.

The hole pattern is a nightmare to cut and finish but it’s worth the effort based on some of my previous builds. Having those holes opens up a lot of tie down options if needed.

7 Likes

Who says you can’t make $$ with the Maslow!

5 Likes

@RedWagon These are all incredible. The timing on that table is tight :grimacing: . Nice work getting it done in time. The staging on the door is nicely done too :grinning:

Where did you get the trailer base?

@Robert_Barfitt Those are super cool looking, can you talk about what they are or is it secret?

Yeah they are secret, all I can say is that they are involved aerial mineral exploration.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: Well whatever they are they look beautifully made :grinning:

Thanks

1 Like

Heh - I clicked the link expecting to see a giant dollar sign made for a stage show or something.

Nice work. Looks like a metric f-ton of cutting! Hope it’s made you some money because it sure cost someone a few sheets of stock :slight_smile:

I used this kayak trailer as a base:

https://maloneautoracks.com/MicroSport-TM-LowBed-TM-2-Boat-Trailer.html

It’s a bit pricey but it’s very much worth it. The long tongue lets me move the weight forward further and makes it very solid to pull even in such a small car. I do have some kayaks I plan to haul with it, just need to design and cut those attachments.

Here is one of the dozen loads I hauled while moving recently:

This box was also cut on my Maslow. So many hours waiting for each hole to be cut…

I do plan on making a community garden entry after getting the kayak holder done.

7 Likes

Basicly a test. I did made a small rack from Plywood with a handfull of layers of polyurethane finishing and 90 Degree, small 3D printed connectors from PETG. The ABS+ connector version did break easily but thats probably due to choosing a wrong infill pattern.

screeny

8 Likes

That’s awesome. I think that the idea of combining 3D printing with CNC is something that has a lot of potential. I’d like to try to explore that approach too.

Silhouette cutouts… Even with flaky z axis. 2 sheets 1/4 ply and quick primer for a dinner decoration. 1/8" bit.

6 Likes

Check out this video, shells (aka perimeters) are at least as important as infill for strength

So made these this last week/weekend:
Army_AF Logos
A guy I work for is making some Ammo Crate boxes for his family and asked me for these so he could put them on the crates. Poplar about 7/16" thick. Bits I used were 1/8" O-Flute (single flute) (FR: 23.6ipm, DOC: 1/16" stepdown to 3/16" and 7/16", RPM: 11,500) and 60* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, DOC: 3/16", RPM: 25,000 - I learned for V-carving that RPMs needed to go way up, and I slowed the feed rate down to get nice clean cuts).

Here’s the finished boxes after he glued them on and then stained them!

MGuns2
MGuns3MGuns4
MGuns5MGuns6
MGuns7
Another guy I work with asked for some Master Gunnery Sergeant rank insignias (USMC E-9). Made from black walnut, 1/4" thick. Bits I used were: Center engrave: 35* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, RPM: 25000, DOC: 0.06"), Pockets: 1/8" O-Flute (single flute) (FR: 23.6ipm, DOC: 1/16" stepdown to .25", RPM: 11,500), and V-carve/bevels: 60* V-bit (FR: 10ipm, DOC: 1/8", RPM: 25,000). Pictures are in order of process - engrave, pocket, advance V-carve, contour (bevel on the stripes), contour (perimeter cuts).

Images were pulled form the web and were either already .svg or created from .jpg and converted to .svg through Inkscape. Layout and CAM done through Carbide Create (free version).

Thanks for stopping by and looking!

6 Likes