What did you cut today?

The day my bigger workshop is built, i can get a lathe.
Right now i got enough machines lying around :slight_smile:
Also i need wood to keep my workshop warm in winter and maslow gets me plenty of useless cutoffs.

2 Likes

We gave our son a pirate ship playground :skull_and_crossbones: for his birthday. The accessories included were a little mainstream to my taste. So my plan was to create a pirate themed shield to replace the boring shields which were included.
I carved a shield lay-out into a 9mm sheet of plywood and subsequently cut a pirate from an image I found on the worldwide web (converted a .png to .svg). All the drawings and CAM where done in Fusion.

Turns out that according to my wife itā€™s not a pirate ship but a viking ship :thinking:. For me that was just another reason to spend a couple of ours with Fusion/my Maslow :smile:

So tommorow Iā€™m going to pimp the playground. I doubt that I will ever get the credits from my 5-year-old, but I really enjoyed creating it.

16 Likes

I cut a base for a Mostly Printed CNC Iā€™m building

18 Likes

on my list as well. Let us know when you got it running

2 Likes

Donā€™t be to sure about that, with my first daughter (3 years now) the first things she learned were, belgian chocolate tastes good and daddy can make anything, they even enjoy playing with the sawdust :slight_smile:
I (try to) make all their presents myself, and i really feel they apreciate it as much as i enjoy making it.

3 Likes

Managed to get some foam cut last night. Not truly coordinated XYZ, but the end result is a nice 3D cut. The variability in finish was due to playing with the router speed control. I found that faster worked best (around 20K). I was using a 1/4" ball end mill with a 1" LOC. I mention the LOC because the depth of cut was somewhat deeper than 1", and I decided to forego an initial pocketing cut that would have stepped the foam down in preparation for the contouring cuts, the result of which was that the bit was plunged into the foam deeper than the blades and tended to rip the surface. If I were to need a nice finish for this project, I would add that pocket back in. As it was, it took a couple hours to finish this cut (and Iā€™ve got another one to do) so adding time was low on the list if the result was acceptable, which it is. THe massive amount of z-axis movement, even with a quick z-axis, mad ethis project drag on. In the end, though, I am pretty pleased with the results. Also, this foam is specifically sold as being made to be milled, though it feels like regular foam.
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

7 Likes

How did you get the 3d cut?

itā€™s a 3D path created by Inventor HSM CAM (the CAM plug in for Inventor). With the Maslow post processor it parses out to a lot of small x and z moves across the half circle pocket. I am not home right now, but I can try to get a screen shot of the paths later.

2 Likes

That is interesting, it would be nice to be able to do XYZ movements at times.

1 Like

The maslow will do XYZ movements (there was a problem with curves, but I believe
thatā€™s been fixed now)

itā€™s up to your CAM software to issue them.

David Lang

1 Like

Iā€™m still using v1.06. I wasnā€™t sure if that version had coordinated moves yet, but whatever it does have works well.

1 Like

I thought we couldnā€™t 3d carve?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had no problems at all using fusionā€™s v-carve, which requires a lot of coordinated xyz movements. Itā€™s really slow though.

2 Likes

at one point we couldnā€™t, but now we can.

we donā€™t do it well, but thatā€™s due to the very slow Z axis motion.

David Lang

3 Likes

Cool, Iā€™ll give it a try.

1 Like

Before I knew what it was, that was what I was thinking as well, a cozy little lounger that you could sink into and read a book.

2 Likes

Your build just inspired me. Our robotics team has drawers of tools and keeping that stuff organized is a constant chore. I would like to do something like this:

Caption: a tool drawer at a test facility, where keeping track of your tools is the difference between a good run and a destroyed jet engine.

Seeing your project made me realize this could be done with the Maslow. Another chance to play with our toy!

5 Likes

I cut today the delivery bag of an oscilloscope.
Hoping to discover noise on wires. Wish me luck, please.

9 Likes

I have that very same scope and it works beautifully! Good luck on your hunt!

2 Likes

Dang! I am excited. I hope you learn a lot.

1 Like