What did you cut today?

I am working on getting a project of the week contest running again so get ready everyone! These all look amazing so it’s going to be tough to vote :grinning:

7 Likes

That’s an obvious idea that I never thought of. I have a set of tuned port speakers that I built in the dorm’s woodshop in the 60s, using 12" 3 way coaxial speakers. Many years back we had a houseguest that cranked up the volume so loud he destroyed the drivers, guess I should finally fix them

2 Likes

I should say thanks for not calling me out for using cheapo incorrect scews to mount the little drivers. Lol. I have also been kicking around the idea of stuffing those enclosures with polyfill. I generally use it in all the subwoofer enclosures I build.

Those are the best kind, got many coffee cans full of them

2 Likes

after fixing my Z axis with the bronze bushing and washer fix, I put it to the test with this Yoda. Cut into 1/4 underlayment with a 1/8 inch downcut bit using easel and ground control. Thanks!

5 Likes

I really liked the „mayan calendar“ (i think its more an aztec one?!) from the instuctables website.

And i love doing resin at the moment.

It was cut with a 1mm bit :sunglasses:
Diameter of the hole piece is about 33cm

15 Likes

The largest project I have made so far was 36 feet long. Today’s project was the smallest: some anchors for carriage bolts. I love that the Maslow CNC is perfectly suited to projects of either size, and that I can quickly run something like this off in five minutes or less per piece, completely unattended, while doing other work in the shop.

19mm shop-grade birch, 1/8" compression bit, Illustrator -> Easel -> WebControl. The countersink was done by hand with a drill.

3 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Woah! What did you build that was so big?

1 Like

A theatre set!

I checked the plans and apparently I lied; it’s only 32 feet long :flushed:

I originally built a Maslow CNC for the “Forever Plaid” sign at the top. Got a quote to outsource the sign and it would have cost more than the cost of building my own CNC machine without even being painted. Since I had the CNC machine anyway, I used it for the flats as well. The holes for the chase lights were a dotted stroke in Illustrator, converted to outlines.

The sign is 1/4" sanded pine plywood. The lettering was cut with a 1/8" compression bit and the circle was cut with a 1/4" compression bit. The flats are 1/8" hardboard cut with a 1/4" compression bit.

11 Likes

As a present I duplicated a boardgame called TAC.
To all people enjoying boardgames… I really can recommend this game! Its a boardgame that is played with cards. The card can be ordered separate.

https://shop.spiel-tac.de/Background-information

I already have a deluxe version of the game because I like to support people that are developing games like this.
Ijust can appeal you to do the same!

Flower of Life cut with 2mm bit
Holes for the marbles cut with a 16mm Hohlehlfräser (chamfer/round bit?!)
Cutout with 6mm bit

Made out of oak wood with resin and white color

6 Likes

I love that game. It’s been on my project list forever. I envision a version made out of 4 puzzle pieces for easier traveling ability.
Anyway, fantastic job.
Show them no mercy when you play.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thats a great idea!
Maybe i have to do another one😎

1 Like

let me know if you get there
I seem to have too many other projects right now

A 4’x2.5’ sign for a family member ran a round over but in it with my small hand router after. Needs sanded and then I’m adding epoxy to the channels. Pretty amazed at this things ability

3 Likes

AWESOME! I was the drummer in Forever Plaid at my hometown community theatre. That image brought back some memories!

2 Likes

At the Maynard Homestead, we’ve been working on renovating two bathrooms during the lockdown. Because I’m cheap and we’re going to be working on tile for awhile, I made a quick tile cutting jig out of some scrap:

I took my variable speed angle grinder and put a diamond blade on it to cut the tile. I took a few, shallow passes for best results. I also used a sponge to flood the cutting area to keep the dust down and everything cool.

Here’s the jig itself. I originally designed it to fit in my vice until I realized that cutting tile was an outdoor activity and moved it over to the sawhorse you saw at the beginning. The nice thing about this jig is that it can be entirely sacrificial. It uses a tiny amount of plywood and having the nc file on my machine means I could just cut another one when this one wears out.

The final results! I’m pretty pleased with how this came out. The freehand cuts actually worked in my favor because the top of the shower stall isn’t anywhere near level, so I was able to make angled cuts pretty easily.

Bonus project, I also cut a hole in the subfloor for toilet plumbing. It’s pretty awesome that I’ve gotten to the point with my machine where I can throw some material on and have it just work for me. It’s now another tool in the toolbox :wink:

6 Likes

This is a panel for a pair of screen doors under construction.

Design size is 740x740 mm, cut size is 740x741. Material is 1/2 inch maple plywood, 1/4 and 1/8 inch flat cutters ere used.

Based on art downloaded form vecteezy.com, hand-traced in inkscape (the vecteezy version has self-loops in the paths). g-code generation in freecad. That turned out to be something of an ordeal, it looks like path generation tool is at O(n^2). So, the trunk was split into 10 paths and the leaves into 4.
So, there are 14 paths to cut with the 1/4 cutter and 14 with the 1/8.

There are a lot of shadowed cuts on the right half of the tree. About 6 sections into the trunk with the 1/4
cutter, the bit was dragging a little. I wanted to re-zero the z-axis, but I have a somewhat flaky touchpad on the Pinebook Pro I use for webcontrol and got reset home instead. Much sadness ensued. Lesson: always write down the actual home when doing a multi-pass design!

But, I reconstructed the original home to the best of my ability and kept going. Somehow I missed in the y-axis. Hence the shadows. “There are no mistakes, only happy accidents.”

I will be cutting some braces for the doors on the Maslow, as well. I have some old doors I am basing the braces on and the braces would be difficult to cut otherwise.

3 Likes

I usually use my phone for starting a new job and I’ve learned to take a screen shot at the beginning of a long cut so the home position is recorded.

2 Likes

Those are some super efficient stools! What is the wood thickness, do you feel it’s sturdy enough? Would you mind sharing the design?