What did you cut today?

I used 1/2" ply, though its not overly sturdy so I should edit the files for 3/4" ply. Fine for kids but I sat on it and have heard creeking. Gluing it up may fix that, but only so much.

Disclaimer: This was an offshoot idea based on other designs I saw, and I cut it out, put it together, w/o glue and there it sat.

Lessons learned: 1) The octagon design is not ideal as it gets smaller at the bottom, and stools should be widest at the bottom for best stability. 2) If I redesigned it, I would make sure that all cuts were performed with tabs so the cut between the inside and outside octagon was exactly 1/4". Also another Larger octagon as a bottom base would work.

I don’t mind sharing the design with the understanding it is a work in progress, without that much progress. I have it in Fusion 360 format with a ply variable setting. Haven’t tested 3/4 yet to see if it worked out right.

1 Like

Clock face, rope goes through the holes to make Roman numerals for the clock numbers.

2 Likes

Be sure to look up and wave as we all check you out from the sattellite!

Could you link to the Instructables page? I can’t seem to find it.

It was Inventables , sorry my mistake.

There you go…

1 Like

Would you share the file for that?

This should be it. Note that the neck length ended up being shorter than in CAD, but I made those adjustments after it was cut.

warlock_uk_CAM2

Neighbor has been bugging me for a silhouette of the unknown soldier which is about 6 feet long and close to 4 foot high. Also wanted a small one which needed to be just 18 inches or so long.

Both turned out great!

Jon

5 Likes

A bit unusual for the Maslow, but I had a lot of fun with this one. My wife has been working on a new series of jewelry, using electro-etching to make patterns in the metal. For this piece, it’s a 3 layer earing, with brass on the outsides. I suggested us making the middle layer out of cherry veneer, so we gave it a try on the Maslow. I cut these with an 1/8" endmill. I spot drilled the holes in the top with a engraving tool with a broken tip. Did a great job.

This is the stacked group. We’re going to use a very red stain on it, Miniwax gunstock for those curious. That should really make that layer pop. I have to say, I’m impressed with how these turned out. I wasn’t sure something so small would turn out well.

This particular project was the first one powered by my new WebControl Raspberry Pi. I was tired of having usb wires everywhere, so I decided to make the jump. So far, I’m loving WebControl. It’s really nice to be able to use my phone to control the machine, its very much like having a pendant on an industrial machine.

Happy chip-making, everyone!

5 Likes

Really nice one!
Not that fancy as yours, but I did this a couple of weeks ago with the Maslow when i realized that there were alot of small wood pieces lying around

4 Likes

Working on a French cleat wall to try and impose some order on the garage.

First step: Circular saw shelf

image image

8 Likes

Is it just me, or is woodworking 50% of making shelves for tools? :sunglasses:
Looks great.
Good job.

11 Likes

I’ve been laid off due to COVID so I’m trying to use my stock of BC and BCX plywood rather than go shopping for good veneer plywood or Baltic birch. :grimacing:

I have plans to build a kitchen island and a credenza-ish thing in our foyer, but those are on hold until I get work.

1 Like

I hope you’ll get to that credenza-ish thing soon then…

2 Likes

Cuts in progress.

I don’t own all the bits called for in the tool changes so the logo looks like hell other than that no major issues.

1 Like

Made this thing with some 50 year old plywood that came from my garage roof when I reshingled.

14 Likes

Had some more fun with my Maslow recently. I’ve been needing a little sweater rack near my dresser for awhile now, and I finally had the chance to make one:

This is my second piece made with V-carve. As someone who typically uses Fusion 360 for CAM, it is admittedly easier for stuff like this in V-carve.

I cut this from a piece of bamboo flooring I had left over from the remodel of my home. I slowed down all my feedrates just a touch and it came out fantastic:

After cutting, I sanded off the prefinish on the plank, and then stained it to a lighter color:

Pretty happy with the results! :smiley:

13 Likes

Finally got around to sanding this. Still need to paint it. It’s about 5’2" tall. The wing width was the limiting factor or I would have made her bigger. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dr. Who Weeping Angel???

1 Like

Yes, sir. Stuff of nightmares.

2 Likes