Which Port do I select?

I don’t have windows10 I think it is 8. I really don’t know what you mean by what is listed. I am going to cross each bridge as I come to them. thanks

No, I am saying that I downloaded the latest version of arduino IDE per instruction and then downloaded the firmware latest version and never used the arduino IDE software at all. The firmware itself ran an earlier version of arduino IDE. This confuses a carpenter.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I believe that a lot of electronics and computer things (to me) seem to be

I over think a lot of things that don’t need a specific order and completely miss the order of other things.This has been a challenge that is good for character development.
I still would like to understand this:

My understanding is you are past this problem point - but the goal is to understand what devices widows reports as connected and what the name is so you can refer to the proper name in whatever software you are using and whatever version of windows you are using.

The software as an example would be the Arduino IDE or Ground Control. The port as an example may be “Com3”.

So when the Arduino IDE reports something like "Unable to find Arduino on com5, " you can select the correct port.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

OK…Now I have had small successes and lost ground since:
Now the port is named a different number (used to be com3 now its com4). It still doesn’t go away if I unplug which used to be one of the only things that made sense to me. I was finally calibrating my maslow. While calibrating the chain was slipping on the sprocket, most likely for lack of weight while guiding it. I decided to complete the calibration the next day but when I got on the computer I had no working ground control, arduino ide, or firmware. I am struggling through all of the downloading again and my compiling error is back when I upload on the firmware arduino ide. Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

C:\Users\The Merry Yeoman\Desktop\Maslow CNC\cnc_ctrl_v1\cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:36:20: fatal error: Maslow.h: No such file or directory

#include “Maslow.h”

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This is an indicator the firmware is not unziped/extruded. Attempts to upload from an not unpacked file will fail.

1 Like

@TheMerryYeoman

In addition to the information provided by @Gero

Windows Assigns Comports, Any serial device could be assigned a number between 1-254. It wont necessarily always be the same.

If you are seeing persistence, meaning a comport is not going away it cold indicate a problem between windows and the hardware of the PC. The first step in that case is rebooting. If the problem continues more aggressive steps my be needed.

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve rebooted until I’m blue in the face. It doesn’t require me to select a port or not select a port for the same result in gc. I went to cutout the sled and the tool path was in effect but the z axis wouldn’t lower the bit.

If you can move the sled around you have the correct port selected. Once you’ve chosen one Ground Control will remember your choice for you and connect automatically until you want to choose a different option.

That the z-axis doesn’t move sounds like a separate issue to me. Is the z-axis turned on in the settings?

Yes,the z axis is turned on in settings. It made the 5 cuts just fine and just whines when I try to zero it in calibration again (something since original calibration?). This effort may have caused me to calibrate the whole thing again but I need to do this anyway i guess. I actually don’t thing the port selection is my problem anymore. I was assuming since I didn’t understand but my firmware arduino ide will not allow me to upload the firmware. it gives me an error code.
This is an error I get when following instructions to push the arrow in the circle:
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

C:\Users\The Merry Yeoman\Desktop\Maslow CNC\cnc_ctrl_v1\cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:36:20: fatal error: Maslow.h: No such file or directory

#include “Maslow.h”

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I don’t know why but I am able to use ground control with this error. Not successfully as my z axis didn’t plunge therefore cutting nothing. I am sure I have to re calibrate…
My z axis worked on the 5 test cuts but when I went to cut the sled… No inny outy! I’ve also realized that I should have recorded all numbers during calibration. I thought the software was doing that but I also realized that when it says " looks good! " it doesn’t mean that it actually looks good. It means that if I think it looks good I should choose this button. Am I wrong about this? Then later I discovered numbers that would be ideal in gc Settings. This is when I realized. Also someone on a tutorial said that the 5 cuts should be within certain tolerances and I had previously thought we were recording measurements to inform the calibration process. Which is it?
I apologize that I have repeated myself from another post but I am not getting any answers and it’s obvious I have a lot of questions. I don’t know where to begin. is there more of a 90’s chat style forum option where things can be clarified in a timely manner?

This is an error which is usually comes up if the firmware zip file hasn’t been unzipped, but that doesn’t look like that’s the issue in this case. Does the folder C:\Users\The Merry Yeoman\Desktop\Maslow CNC\cnc_ctrl_v1\ contain the file Maslow.h still? It should be in the download.

I don’t think you need to re-calibrate, this sounds like a separate issue. Are you sure the motor is free to rotate and the router isn’t locked or something is preventing the motor from rotating?

1 Like

that’s exactly what my daughter pointed out! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

The sled is cutting now! is it supposed to showcase its calibration by continuing to move from pocket to pocket making them deeper each pass?

1 Like

Thanks again! A childhood dream fulfilled: I have a robot that made me something. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::robot:

3 Likes