Yet Another Z Axis Mod

Hey @rwales ! Just downloaded the files and ordered recommended parts online. Hope to be up and running soon! I use a CR-10S Pro.

This is my first Maslow CNC and my build is a wall hung frame with a 10’ steel top beam.

1 Like

Nice. The parts ought to turn out fine on a CR10, but let me know if you run into any issues. Hope your build goes smoothly or that you learn a lot. :-).

Best,

1 Like

It’s up and running! Seriously great work. I love it! I ordered from your links in BOM. That rail kit is great BUT the metric bolt kits you recommend don’t actually come with enough pieces to finish! I had to run to home depot and they only carry $tainle$$ $teel metric nolt/nuts! Haha otherwise smooth as butter!

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s working out well for you.

On the BOM, yeah, I didn’t update it after a mid-project redesign, but I should have gone back and checked if it had everything after that. I also wound up buying one of those flat-TV mounting kits because they are a good source of long 8mm and 6mm bolts. I can add something like that to the BOM too.

If you have a sense of what exactly you were short on, let me know and I’ll get some details into the BOM for future / posterity.

Cheers!

1 Like

Is there a sled pattern available for using this mod? Just wondering! Thanks!

1 Like

I just used the round “stock” sled pattern. Or technically, I used an 8-sided round-ish sled of the approximate dimensions of the standard round sled. Because I didn’t have my Maslow set up when I went to build my sled.

I have considered trying to generate an SVG or something of the bolt-holes pattern, which should technically be possible from my original model files, but I’m not sure if that’s what you’re asking about.

Cheers.

Is anyone using this design or has everyone gone to C-beam?
I finally got back in the shop and started getting the machine up and running again. I got this rig together and at least zeroed.
I used the original dust chute and the angle puts it right into the weights, need to print a newer version.
Z range of motion looked limited and I made some adjustments on the router location in the clamps and it looks better.
Maybe some cutting tomorrow.

due to the weight of the 10 lb ridged router any design needs to have support rails as far apart as possible to give stability.

for c beam designs this means using the outside 80mm wide edges instead of the inside 40mm wheels.

for 3d printed designs like this it means having the two solid rods spaced out at 3 and 9 oclock instead of 5 and 7 o clock.

By making the z axis more stable you can cut deeper per plunge.

I haven’t found it documented and it’s probably something folks know. What is the pitch of the lead screw? I suppose it’s close to the one on the Rigid router and I hadn’t compared it.

If you bought the kit in the BOM, it should be 8mm. The build instructions mention it towards the very end.

Oh, and on Z range-of-motion, I’ve measured and you can get about 1" if you optimize the placement of the rings on the router a little bit. If you plan on cutting deeper, you might need to try a different kit.

Can I get the design files in fusion 360, I need to make some mods, I am using a different router?

Sorry, haven’t been active here lately.

Design files are all Openscad, and I don’t think there’s a conversion to F360. But DM me if you would like the .scad source files.

Thx,
-RBW

1 Like