Z axis calibration problem

I always left my clamp open. There was never a point where I could get the bolt loose enough that it would move freely, but still hold the clamp closed. So I left it open, and put a pretty stiff bungie across it to keep it from jumping out, and to aide in the ‘lead screw’ slop.

A tip I haven’t seen around here, for those of you with the Ridgid Router (R22002) when you’re setting up your z-axis, keep that clamp with the orange tab in the center of the threaded rod it attaches to. Then install your motor. That will give you enough travel in both directions.

Can you post what values you have in settings for:

Maslow Settings->Z-Axis Pitch
Advanced Settings->Z-Axis Encoder Steps per Revolution.

1 Like

Yes.

Pitch: 3.17
Steps per Revolution: 7560

I haven’t changed either of those parameters - I see the 3.17 on several tutorials/videos.

It looks like this guy is having similar challenges - I’m linking to the video because this is really similar to what I’m seeing, though sometimes I tell it to lower the bit and it raises it instead - it doesn’t like to go back down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891-6RvTxhE&list=WL&index=47

Ok, well, was worth a shot.

When you do manual z-axis adjustments, does everything seem to work?

Perhaps you can post the gcode you were trying to run.

1 Like

No - manual adjustments work sometimes and not at other times.

I don’t know how to show the gcode - I can view it in Ground Control but I can’t copy/paste it - I could do a few screenshots? I tried CAMotics but I don’t know how to find the actual code there. I also have Inkscape (where it was created using Gcodetools). What is the best route to go?

Also, I’ve seen a few forum threads suggesting moving cables, unplugging and replugging cables in, etc. Is that worth a try?

Definitely try to reseat the cables at both ends.

The key to figuring out the problem is to be able to repeat the issue reliability. Focus on using the manual z-axis controls and see if you can detect a pattern.

2 Likes

Okay - I’ve been worried about replicating the process since I don’t want the router to get destroyed …

I’ll go back to the shop and try these fixes and then I’ll update the thread.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Okay - I unplugged the Z-axis cable on both ends and replugged them in.

I wiped the Eeprom (which required reentering chain length values - they are all set properly, though I don’t see a place to input chain sag adjustment). It gave me a missing chain length error both before and after entering them in (the after error happened when I told it to make a cut that I tested earlier and that went fine).

The Z-axis control is enabled. I tested the motors. The Z motor passed (so did the others).

I tried to raise and lower the bit using Z-Axis controls (using the top right buttons on the main ground control interface, not through one of the calibration portals). However, none of them do anything at all.

I don’t have a bit in the router.

I tried to do a test cut after doing all of the above steps and it simply sits and does nothing. I tried closing the program and reopening it. For some reason, that has helped in the past.

No progress.

I don’t understand this part. Where did you enter chain length values?

Under settings - most of them were retained from before, but one was off from the numbers I saved from a screenshot after the last calibration.

Oh, so you mean calibration values like rotation radius, chain sag, etc… correct?

1 Like

correct. I couldn’t find a place to input chain sag…

Can you look and see if there is a message that says “FAKE_SERVO on” in the message buffer… it would be reported after the Arduino reboots and is part of the initialization of the controller. If you don’t see a fake_servo message, try disconnecting and reconnecting with the Arduino USB cable (power cycles the Arduino)

I use my laptop to work on the Maslow so I disconnect it each time I go to the shop and reconnect it each time I try to use it. Because it isn’t currently connected, there is no FAKE_SERVO message. I’m pretty confident I haven’t seen that error message yet - I keep an eye on what it says. Given that information, should I go back to the shop to see if I get that message when I reconnect or not?

When you get a chance, go ahead and reconnect it and look for the messages, I think it will say either fake_servo on or off. What version of firmware and ground control are you using?

I think a hardware issue is still a possibility even after re-seating the cables.

If you run Actions -> Test Motors/Encoders you see a pass in all directions?

One of my concerns is that when it’s reported that no motors move, that fake servo is actually turned on. I’ve seen this before. When we made it so that you could enter fake servo mode rather than have to have a special firmware compiled for it, we’ve seen some people enter that mode unintentionally. I think @blurfl made a change to make that more unlikely, but I don’t think that change is in v1.26. I think test motors/encoders will pass with fake servo on.

1 Like

Okay -

First Detail: There is no FAKE_SERVO message when I connect the arduino to my laptop.

Second Detail: I attached a screenshot of the opening dialogue with the firmware and ground control versions.

Third Detail: I ran a test motors check. Everything passed.

18%20AM

This morning, when I tried to use the Z-axis controls, it makes a noise and then says the sled can’t keep up and it can’t find a chain value - the same problems I had before I wiped the eeprom that started my initial inquiries.

Ok… can you report the value under Advanced Settings → Position Error Limit?

Also, when it says it can’t find a chain value, you are referring to this message, correct?

Message: Unable to find valid machine position for chain lengths xxxx, yyyy. Please set the chains to a known length (Actions → Set Chain Lengths)

If so, what are the values for xxxx, yyyy reported?

Error Limit = 2.0 (default)

Yes, that is the message. The message establishes the chain length problems at: 97.65 and 17.33

I tried it a second time to see if it was consistent. It wasn’t. It said 99.48 and 19.07. Each time includes the sled can’t keep up message as well.