Z Axis not turning

Complete newbie here learning the ropes. We have everything set up and have reached the Z axis calibration. When I am in Ground Control and hit raise or lower, I hear something happening, but nothing is moving at all. What can the cause be?? We have already loosened the bolt at the bottom. Is there something else I’m missing? Please help!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Does the sound only happen for a split second or stays on?

When you open the z-axis controls, you enter a value that you want the z-axis to move when you press “raise” or “lower”; what value do you have there?

Can I assume you have the Ridgid R2202? If so,

You did the right thing here. I have the clamp open as well but if the bolt is loose the clamp will have no effect.

Check to make sure all the set screws are tight. Could be spinning on the shaft.

Any pictures or videos would be helpful too :slight_smile:

Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile: Yes I have the Ridgid. I did some digging and I think I figured out the Z axis issue. The coupler was pushed flush with the axis motor. I reworked the setup and pulled it out a bit and also tightened the bottom screws. The axis now moves! I went ahead and started the test cuts. I did this with the router off just to make sure everything was running smoothly. 2 problems with this…

1. The sled starts to lift off of the board when it gets close to the edge. Is this because I don’t have a bungee cord over the machine? If I do need one, how do I ensure it’s not too tight?
  2. When the axis adjusts, it doesn’t seem to be catching 100% with the machine. I have to manually tap it a bit to catch. Is this also related to not having a bungee?

I’m going to rerun the calibration in the morning. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks again!

1 Like
  1. The sled starts to lift off of the board when it gets close to the edge. Is this because I don¢t have a bungee cord over the machine? If I do need one, how do I ensure it¢s not too tight?

This generally means that you don’t have the chains parallel to the workpiece.

the right way to set the ring height is to set it so that if you hold it by the
chains it hangs straight, and then make sure that the chains are parallel to the
workpiece (either by adjusting the frame or by spacing the workpiece out so they
are parallel when looking at them from the side)

1. When the axis adjusts, it doesn¢t seem to be catching 100% with the machine. I have to manually tap it a bit to catch. Is this also related to not having a bungee?

Z axis? yes.

David Lang

2 Likes

That makes sense - thank you so much for the reply. I will adjust accordingly.