Ground Control message continually toggles from "Connected" to "Not Connected"

I have 6 usb ports on the desktop, which I tried switching and only 1 on the tablet

Once youā€™ve gotten the ā€˜done uploading ā€˜ message, quit the Arduino program before starting GroundControl - they fight each other for control of the serial portā€¦

1 Like

Were you able to find the same COM port in Ground Control and by clicking Actions->Ports?

when you say quit you mean close out of it right?

yes

1 Like

When you finished step 7 in those instructions, what did the Arduino IDE look like? Were there any warning messages shown? A screen shot could help

OK - you are going to get different information here. It is all in an effort to find your problem. I respect @blurfl and he is very knowledgeable.

He is testing things from a different direction. I want you to test by wiping out the Arduino and having it test itā€™s self. This has the advantage that you will need to re install the firmware later. If there was a bad write in the original upload you will probably not see the issue a second time. This also will use the Arduino IDE to test it removing ground control from the equation.

With the Arduino plugged in -

Open the Arduino IDE - make sure the correct port is selected.

In the Arduino IDE go to files -> examples->basic->AnalogReadSerial

unnamed

Then upload this file to your Arduino by clicking the right arrow icon at the top of the IDE program next to the check mark.

Once it finishes uploading click the square in the Upper right corner as shown in the picture below.

This will open the terminal window and should display a random group of numbers. If you are not seeing the numbers check the communication speed is 9600. This is shown in the lower right of the terminal window. It has a pull down if you need to change it to 9600 baud.

The goal is to get the window scrolling numbers and leave it that way for about 30 minutes. If it keeps scrolling numbers it means the system is maintaining a connection and we can look else where.

The other circle is pointing out the code that sends data to the terminal window.

Let us know the results of this test.

We can proceed from there.

Thank you

1 Like

there are no scrolling numbers, it says ā€œan error occurred while uploading the sketchedā€

What comport are you using?

Restart the computer and try again before opening anything else. Report back plz.

Thank you

okā€¦im using comm 1

In the Arduino IDE go to tools - port like the picture. On your keyboard press the ā€œprint screenā€ key on your keyboard - It may be abbreviated ā€œprt scnā€ usually its in the top rows in the upper right. This takes a screen capture internally. Open paint and paste, this will put the screen in the paint program. Save the file and link it here plz.

Thank you

Are you sure COM1 is the right port? COM1 is usually used internally by the computer. COM3 or higher is much more common. Are there any other ports available to connect to?

1 Like

I redid the procedure on my desktop and its scrolling the numbers now

1 Like

Are you still on comm1? Let me know what happens in 30 min.

Thank you

no comm3 now, dif computer
thank you

Iā€™m pretty sure this is the issue. I think that COM1 is not actually the port itā€™s on. It sounds like everything is working properly on that desktop where it shows up as COM3, but the laptop might not be detecting the Arduino properly

but Iā€™m getting the same results on both no matter what com port I use, I even connected a usb hub to both and still nothting

Were you able to

1 Upload the firmware successfully on COM3
2 Close the Arduino IDE
3 Open Ground Control
4 Select COM3 by clicking Actions -> Ports and choosing it from the drop down
5 Press Actions -> Connect

yes to all of your questions above

ā€¦and itā€™s still toggling back and forth :frowning:

Basically what that means is that Ground Control hasnā€™t received any position information from the machine for two seconds. That could be because some other program is using the USB port, because itā€™s not plugged in, because the firmware isnā€™t installed so no position information is being sentā€¦

Iā€™m a little stumped

What kind of Arduino is it again?