Increasing the Max Feedrate?

So I finally got a chance to test the Maslow store’s 1 flute bit and it is exactly the solution I needed. I will probably be using them as my workhorse for now until we can get the faster feedrates working reliably. I still need to dial in the exact speeds that it works best at, but I was getting a good chipload from 15000rpm @ 700mm/min with 6.35mm deep cuts.

As I see it, we have a couple of options for making the Maslow move at higher feedrates. I have the 25 tooth sprockets on order from China, and according to the shipping estimates I should be seeing them sometime between the 11 and the 30. As I see it, this is the cheaper (and simpler) option, and if it works well enough then I will adopt it. If it doesn’t provide satisfactory results, then I will be looking into the 24v motors.

The bigger issue that I am concerned with is acceleration panning. I have no idea what it would take to write that into the firmware. Without this resolved, making the machine move faster probably won’t do too much good. Do we have any ideas about how to tackle this?

That being said, I have sunk a lot of my time into setup, calibration and trials so far and I would like to actually start making things with my machine! As a result, I will probably be focused on projects once I get over my current calibration hurdle. Also, it would be very nice to start making products that I can market and sell to help pay for some of more these upgrades.

I am quite familiar with having issues with both time and money. Best of luck on your other projects! They all sound pretty interesting. I might have the chance to test other motors by then, we’ll see.

That’s no joke. I had to watch many hours of Tom Sanlanderer and the 3D Printing Nerd to even have a cursory knowledge of what’s going on with 3D printing!

As I see it, we have a couple of options for making the Maslow move at higher
feedrates. I have the 25 tooth sprockets on order from China, and according to
the shipping estimates I should be seeing them sometime between the 11 and the
30. As I see it, this is the cheaper (and simpler) option, and if it works
well enough then I will adopt it. If it doesn’t provide satisfactory results,
then I will be looking into the 24v motors.

note that this will require a software change, currently the sprocket diameter
is not calculated correctly. It’s a small change, but is needed

The bigger issue that I am concerned with is acceleration panning. I have no
idea what it would take to write that into the firmware. Without this
resolved, making the machine move faster probably won’t do too much good. Do
we have any ideas about how to tackle this?

I think the easiest way would be to modularize the movement code and then make a
fork of grbl to drive it. GRBL already has a good acceleration/jerk planning
system, but it’s designed around stepper motors, so the interrupt loop would
ahve to be completely changed to support motor/encoder setups.

The good news is that they are working to make the code less hardware specific
(so that they can support all the 32 bit ARM boards that are out now), so that
should make changes like this easier.

2 Likes

Fusion360 has an option for acceleration planning. I didn’t realize this until I was programming a cabinet this weekend. I guess that solves that problem! As much as I hate subscription programs, Fusion really delivers on a lot of useful features.

I gave it a test this weekend while I was cutting parts (the same cabinet I programmed) and it works great. I was testing it at relatively low feedrates as I’m using the 1 flute bits for now, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t scale to higher speeds.

I missed that. Doesn’t sound like the change will be difficult. I would do it myself if I knew how. Should really start watching more programming tutorials on Python and Ardiuno.

4 Likes

The larger gears showed up last week, but I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet. I was thinking I may try implementing them over the holiday. Has this issue been resolved yet? If not, what would it take to get it implemented?

2 Likes

+1
Any news? I just ordered a set of these 25T gears myself so I would have them on hand when experimenting begins. Probably need to finish my frame first though :relieved:

2 Likes

I think the answer is ‘yes’ - the firmware now correctly calculates from user settings for the chain pitch and number of teeth, so changing the motor sprocket size should work properly. There is also a user variable for the feedrate limit, set to avoid issues that make one of the motors lag behind the other, as in this discussion. Let us know how it works when you try it!

2 Likes

I thought everything might be good to go when I read the Github thread(s) about the new calibration routine and the feedrate setting in request #664; thanks for confirming!

To tack on to what was said in the first post and in my head since last May, I ran the numbers last night on proper feeds & speeds for plywood using 1/4" end mills. A very rough starting point for 1/4" cutters running 48 inches per minute through “plywood” using uncorroborated chip load data from the internetz gives this:

TL;DR: Buy a single flute end mill if you’re using the Rigid R2200 router or run the two flute at the lowest 10k RPM setting…

2 Likes

Is anyone running the 25tooth gears yet? Any results?

I haven’t heard of anyone running them yet, but since we have been seeing some
people having trouble running with the normal sprockets ith heavy sleds, you
would have to run a lighter than normal sled or more powerful motors to make it
work well.

1 Like

Ya, that’s why I was wondering. Unless a counterbalance system to reduce the load worked out (and yes I know the issues). It would be very handy for the laser cutting portion I am going to try when I get my Maslow. 900mm/m is pretty slow for laser.

Speed of light is fast, speed of motor not! Perhaps short on pulses of the laser will work.

Thank you

Shipped! Now I just have to wait for the slow boat from China…Literally!

I recently found that Harbor Freight has a variable router speed controller.
was going to see if it could lower my Rigid R2200’s minimum RPM to improve cutting. has anyone tried this yet?

1 Like

I think the rigid is classed as a soft start so this might not work. I’d be afraid to try it myself for fear of hurting the router.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Jon. you may have just saved me 200 bones

3 Likes

No worries, I’m just reading as much as I can and stumbled across your question. I wonder if there is anyone who is brave enough (and has the knowledge) to take one of these routers apart and see if we can hardware mod it slower. I am not that person lol.

I burned one of those out on my other CNC, open it up and put a heatsink on the
chip in there.

I don’t know how that would interact with the speed controller on the r2200, a
good speed controller (like we have on the 2200) keeps track of the speed and
applies more power when needed to maintain the speed. This maintains the speeds
as cutting conditions change

a cheap speed controller like the harborfreight one just reduces the power going
to the motor, so that it can’t apply as much force and spins slower. This makes
the speed drop more as more effort is needed to cut.

3 Likes

I agree. And my gut says that the RPM settings on the R22002 are at least in the ballpark for accuracy; much better than having to guess your speed is somewhere between “slower” and 10k RPM…

I am going to be trying a spindle I got from banggood as well as a z axis setup for it. It comes with a speed controller. Motor is QUIET. I’ll post a video when I have a sec. I’ll have to run it through a bit of wood and see how the power is. 500w. With how the maslow operates, I think it should be plenty strong enough and will give much better z-accuracy and finer control of RPM. You can get all that gear for cheaper than the router (in canada at least)

4 Likes

What does the z-axis setup look like on that? Have any links or pictures?