Makercam doesn't load some SVG files

When either I convert a png or jpg file to svg makercam doesn’t load it. I don’t know why and I can’t find a remedy for this. There is no error code or information on why makercam can’t load the file. Can somebody help with this. Thanks,

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!
How do you convert the files?
As a new user you will not be able to upload files or screenshots right away, but a few replies and likes will get you over this fast.

For faster support, if you have a Dropbox or other storage you can share the .svg, it could speed up.
I guess as a new user 1 link is not cut by the automated guard.

Kind regards, Gero

Edit: MaslowCNC can not load .svg. Makercam should create a .nc file for you to cut with the Maslow.
Edit2: I would like to know if you can edit your title, would you test that for me?

2 Likes

I have changed the title of your post to read “Makercam doesn’t load…” rather than “Maslow doesn’t load…”

I think you may get more assistance that way as it will reduce confusion since Maslow doesn’t deal with SVGs.

If you are concerned about this change, please let me know and I can change it back.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering so soon Gero. I’am attaching one of the svg files that will not load and I don’t know why. This one of many svg files that I have. I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks

Joseph “Marty” Josephson

2 Likes

Hi Marty

Don’t take this the wrong way, but is your svg file white on a transparent background? I ask because it is not showing up in your post despite there clearly being an image box there.

You might try to edit the svg using something like Inkscape (free) to get the image into a black and white format if it is not already. There are good reason to leave an svg in color but for use in makercam, I don’t think it should be necessary.

Another option you might try is uploading it to Jscut which has a very simple CAM interface. I often use it for my svg designs.

3 Likes

No, that was my mistake and thank you for that.

1 Like

This posted .svg is blank but could be related to new user. We will get over this.
(gimp showed a transparent background and inkscape a empty page)

This was not answered.

1 Like

Ah, right. I always forget that. Seems like an arbitrary rule.

1 Like

@jjoseph1010 , I have experienced loading .svg files after creating them in inkscape and they were too thin of lines to show up. Could that be the case or have we already figured out the answer?

1 Like

Thanks for the response Adam, I think part of the problem is I cannot convert clip art or an image into a useable svg file. It’s still a learning curve for me. I have had the Maslow for almost a year and finally got around to setting it up. So do you have a process for this? I would really love to know.

I don’t believe the lines are the problem, it’s probably the file.

I have either clip art or an image in a png format. I then go on-line to an on-line conversion program that changes the format from png to svg and that doesn’t seem to work very well with makercam. I’m thinking that if I use a program that automatically traces over the Picture then maybe I can use that stencil with lines in it and then go from there.

1 Like

Inkscape can do that and is free :wink:
There are plety of tutorials on youbooze : inkscape+trace+bitmap

For that, this:

with the caveat that inkscape traces bitmaps, but I don’t think it will accurately trace any other format (please correct me if I am wrong! It would save me a lot of work if I were). I believe it is under the PATH dropdown that you can find the “trace bitmap” command.

I also use GIMP to convert image files and do clean up work before exporting the image as a bitmap into Inkscape for tracing. GIMP is very powerful, but the learning curve is pretty steep.

When I have a relatively clean clip art or image, I have found this online converter to work well for producing svg files. You may want to play with the variables (I make the pixel count and dpi somewhat larger most of the time), and make sure you export as monochrome.

2 Likes

.jpg and .png are no problem

Aw man! so much wasted time converting to bmp! Serves me right for assuming that it would only do bmp from the title “trace bitmap”… unless my version i just old or something. I’ll have to check it out tonight, but man would that make my workflow much simpler!

1 Like

@Gero & @Keith have your back here.
My process does include inkscape.
As I recall… Load .png or .bmp image into inkscape (copying into paint program gets you this far) … Select the image. Selecting the image originally would hang me up as I thought it had been and wasn’t selected. I use an icon in the upper left corner that when hovering over eludes to everything being selected (this way I can be sure)… Select “path” at the top, “trace bitmap”, change the first framed variable from .40 (or something) to .50
Then “go” or “ok” or whatever the next affirming step is. Save it as an .svg file and it should be available once you get back to makercam.
Note: the above tutorial is from the mind of a Yeoman and the rest of the contributers in this forum have held me up thus far! :grin:

Thanks Adam will try and thank you very much.

Hi Gero

I have just taken a picture of the item I want to generate an *.nc file and after using the bit trace I end with two line around the edge of the part. I have tried several things to remove but cannot, any suggestions?

When in makercam and want to profile this (outside) it comes with a double path one for the inside line and one for the outside of the outside of the outter most line which is not what I want.

Hi Marty,

Are you using Inkscape to trace the picture?
Also, are you able to upload images yet? If so, it will be easier for us to help you by trying it out ourselves. If you have a link to the image, that would work too.

If you are using Inkscape, depending on the image, you might be able to use “stroke to path” to get rid of the double lines. Again, being able to see the image will help; the original, any conversions you made before getting to the svg, and the resulting svg. At the very least, a narration of your work flow (including the file types and programs used) will help us try to troubleshoot.

This may be the long way around so if anybody else has a better way to delete something from makercam please let me know! However, this is how I do it:
I select the unwanted items in makercam, then I go up to edit and resize the selection to 1% by 1%. I then repeat this process as I see a small speck on the screen usually and then the spec must be small enough that it doesn’t register because I’ve never seen a trace of them again (after I resize it twice to 1% by 1%) to confuse me!
To me, this is very annoying and I just wish there was a delete selected option but have not yet found it. I hope this helps.