Mystery project

I do, but then I go back in the time machine and get work done during that time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

First time poster, long time lurker.

Thank you so much for using Discourse for your forum - absolutely fast and awesome here at the Starbucks (with a super slow connection).

And it is good to see you continue the Wikihouse concept.

What in the world happened to that?

Was it too disruptive to the building industry?

I am working on building my McMansion with your Maslow. I will be ordering soon.

But, there is big time need for Wikihouse to build more libraries.

Is there any way I can help?

If so, PM me.

1 Like

And it is good to see you continue the Wikihouse concept.

What in the world happened to that?

Was it too disruptive to the building industry?

no chance of the result meeting code requirements.

What Portland is doing is making these tiny places for the homeless, and they
are not requiring code compliance for them.

Thank you Bar. It wasn’t until @TheRiflesSpiral mentioned POD. He inspired me to google “Maslow Pod.” This is how I came to find the information. You see, the unintended consequence of your question resulted in community collaboration :slight_smile: I happily split my winnings :wink:

I have considered many things that the Maslow is capable of doing, but this is off the charts awesome. What an incredible project for you and Hannah to be part of. I can’t wait to share this project with my group. Maybe we could borrow this concept to build a really cool chicken coup. Not that we wouldn’t want to participate in buildings PODS for the less fortunate, we would. But, great project none-the-less.

1 Like

That is odd.

I ran the concept by my local inspector - he said it easily meets code.

And he was excited about it, too.

He said 3D printed houses are perfectly level (while traditional, wood studded houses are not).

The Wikihouse project in New Zealand was working on a design that was superb. But again, they seem to have gone silent.

Something tells me these puzzle houses are a threat to the housing industry.

1 Like

I suspect the pushback will be similar to what we saw in the 70’s with pre-made trusses and pre-manufactured homes… contractors hated them and the uproar was deafening… Until they figured out how to market it and make money off of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There are house builders building flat-pack houses, modular houses, and every
other variation of prefab housing components (including as you say, trusses)

The fact that they are not doing the wikihouse is more an indication that either
the local housing authorities are opposed, or that the results don’t meet code
(keeping in mind that the code has gotten a lot tighter in the last couple of
years, espcially in terms of insulation requirements)

Given the oddities in the code requirements (I’ve been looking at building a
house, so I’m fairly familiar with the mess that’s involved), I wouldn’t be
surprised if there were code related problems.

The Building Industry, like the Military tends to be very conservative and slow
to take on new technology. You may look at this as being backwards, but in both
cases, the results of failure are signficant enough that it’s a real deterrent.
If you go back and look at all the ‘new and exciting building technology’ from
the '70s and '80s, and how much of it has been shown to be a real problem, you
also have the people who are running companies right now being the ones who are
being paid to fix (in some cases, completely rebuild) the not-so-old ‘cutting
edge technology’ houses.

Cool, would be doable here in NZ too or after an disaster on the islands,
the size is great as wouldn’t need a building consent.

Also would it be easy to keep clean.
I see a few places that dirt can be trapped behind. (for this I would suggest that the floor comes up on an angle around the edges.

Would you be able to lock them during the day.

how many 3/4" sheets does one unit take?

Remember, starting in 1916 Sears Roebuck sold kit houses in their catalog. They sold tons of them over the years and many of them still stand today. Our generation(s) will be the next to change the way housing is looked at.

1 Like

That’s a awesome idea @bar

A couple of thoughts…

• This is awesome. Pure and simple.

• Wikihouse purists will not like the combination of standard building materials (studs) along with CNC’d sheathing =P

• Have you given thought to insulation in those walls/roof/floor?

• I know you are trying to dial in tolerances exactly, but you could loosen the tolerances and insert shims to tighten it up a lot like using a spline in a wood joint

There’s a neighborhood in my hometown full of those Sears kit homes… some developer did a “planned” community with them. We call them “the chicken coops.” (They were all exactly the same and the developer picked the smallest, almost square floorplan.)

They are still doing the modular concept in lafayette Indiana, I drove through a new subdivision last weekend where they had just dumped off a flat bed trailer of pre-fab wall sections. Years ago I lived across the construction of another one of those partially pre-fab wall buildings. They had left the wall segments in the rain and weather for over a month. When it came time to assemble they had to use cables, come-alongs and crowbars to un-warp the wall segments to but into place.

Nevermind. I found more information.

http://seradesign.com/wp-content/uploads/PlyPad-poster_reduced.pdf

Besides the stated purpose that would make a nice small cottage or guest house. From a quick count it looks like about 20 sheets of plywood (has anybody tried OSB on a Maslow yet?) so not terribly expensive. Add some kind of a frame, axle, and wheels and it might be a usable travel trailer or portable disaster housing.

Kirk

That’s incredible… Even with quality exterior 3/4" ply (at high quantities) your structural members come in under $600. I’m guessing the whole shebang is under $2,500 each with siding/insulation/fasteners, etc?

Thanks for the support guys!

We’ll be going into depth about different parts of the build each week, but here are some more technical details.

We’re aiming to have the total cost for the four complete modules that make up the house be about $5,000. We’ll do a final cost break down at the end, but that’s the goal.

We’re using a mixture of 3/4 plywood for the edges where the modules bolt together, and 15/32nds siding for the siding. The 15/32nds siding is nice because it comes in a pretty AC version which looks nice for the inside and a CDX version which is cheap for the outside where it will be covered.

The interior cavity of each wall will be filled with rigid insulation foam bonded to both sides making something similar to a structural insulated panel (SIP). From some tests I did the other day it seems like this technique results in really strong, really light walls.

1 Like

There are several types of prefab generally available today

one type is ‘flat pack’ where the walls are built in panels, shipped on a
flatbed and assembled via a crane (not to be confused with SIP construction
which looks similar in that you have large panels shipped, but the panels are
just foam/wood sandwiches. flat pack walls are much more finished)

another type is ‘modular’ where the house is built in sections, up to 15’ wide
and 65 ft long. They are almost completly finished (some flooring to put down
across the joints is about all) and all you have to do is set them in place and
connect the wiring/plumbing. It takes a week or so after they are on site to
finish the house. Once built, the only way to identify them is the extra thick
interior walls where the modules join (or looking at the frameing from below)

very similar is ‘manufactured’, which is the new official term for mobile home.
They are built almost the same as modular, but have a frame, axles, and license
plate. The high end ones can only be identified from the modular is the license
plate and bottom framing.

Okay so that part was a bench. :smiley:

2 Likes

A bit of care with the doors and windows and it is a swamp rat trap :joy: