Project of the Week for March 6, 2018

Nominations are open for this week’s Project of the Week (PotW). You can nominate simply by replying to this thread.

The selected project will be highlighted in the Maslow newsletter. The user will receive a “Project of the Week” badge on the forums and as many swamp rats as your vehicle can carry out of @mooselake country. (Note: you might want to pick up this prize under cover of darkness, and watch out for Michigan DNR vehicles on the way out).

Nominations close no earlier than Saturday, voting (if needed) Sunday & Monday, announcement Tuesday. We’ll keep it to one PotW each week for now; hopefully someday we’ll have so many wonderful projects we’ll have to go with Projects of the Week. If we get only one nomination this week, that project automatically wins. If we get two or more, I’ll post a poll for the community to pick the winner. If we don’t get any nominations, I will randomly select three projects from the back issues of the Maslow newsletter and Made on Maslow to appear in a poll. Projects that don’t win in a poll can be renominated on subsequent weeks. Any project can only win once, but any person can win multiple times.

What makes a PotW? It can be a project made on a Maslow CNC that shows off the Maslow’s capabilities, or demonstrates a new way of using the Maslow, or just plain looks cool. It can also be a project not made on a Maslow that makes a great contribution to the Maslow community.

Final note: like most things here on the forums, the community is what makes PotW successful. Suggestions for improving the PotW and volunteers to help run the PotW thread are welcome.

Here is a project I am working on, it delivers to the Javits Center in NYC on 3/15.
Oakley Prizm Stand Build Components.pdf (232.8 KB)
Oakley Prizm Stand Components.pdf (173.1 KB)
I will upload final photos of the fully branded build when it’s unveiled.

3 Likes

This week was really light on projects. Because we’re still just getting the project of the week started should we open it up to past weeks too?

1 Like

I’d be open to that. It is a little more fun when we have a poll.

1 Like

I was hit-and-miss in the forums for a while, and completely missed @clintlogginsOpen Desk Nimble Stool. It’s a nice, clean design and spawned a good discussion of pockets on the Maslow. So I’m nominating it.

3 Likes

It’s polling time! We have three nominations, including one from the newsletter:

• madgrizzle’s American flag/Liberty Bell
    imageimage

• clintloggins’ OpenDesk Nimble Stool

• Addubb’s Oakley Prism Stand

• Addubb’s Oakley Prism Stand
  • clintloggins’ OpenDesk Nimble Stool
  • madgrizzle’s American flag/Liberty Bell

0 voters

I don’t think the prison stand was actually cut yet? Pretty sure he just posted renders.

True, but I decided it was better to treat it as a nomination and let the community decide with their votes whether to dock it for not having been built yet.

Here is the work-in-progress of the Oakley Prizm Stand. I haven’t sanded anything yet and have been struggling with miscuts this weekend. The community has really jumped in and given me some great pointers though so I should be back on track today (just letting some wax dry on my sled before cutting resumes).

5 Likes

What about Barky’s bowl stand in the “Failed to execute script main” thread? It’s a modest project, but after all of the struggle involved it must feel like quite an accomplishment.

And there’s a doggy picture. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

+1 for the Barky Bowl

I like the Prism Stage too, but would be willing to wait until it is complete

1 Like

Since the poll is already live, the Barky Bowl is the first nomination for next week. To help me remember it and for anyone who hasn’t seen it, here’s the link: Calibration - “Failed to execute script main”

1 Like

The Prism stand is pretty cool. It also looks to be easily scalable for any number of similar projects.

Hi @jwolter! @bar gave me the fun task of making sure each PotW winner receives recognition each week! I was thinking some free router bits (for those in the US) and ??? for those outside. Any suggestions? Plus of course acknowledgement in our bimonthly newsletter. I just wanted to ask you… Does voting officially close at the end of the day Tuesday? So I should recognize the winner each Wednesday?

Thanks for what you’re doing!

1 Like

My plan is to end the voting sometime during the day every Tuesday, usually in the evening. I’m not super-strict about the timing of the closure for voting. I do try to announce a winner by the end of the day so it can make the press deadline for the newsletter.

Of course since the newsletter is biweekly, this means there will be two PotWs to report in each issue. For the non-Imperial among us, could you ship the bits plus a collet adapter? I have no idea what those cost, but they’re a pretty simple part.

2 Likes

This week @Addubb came from behind to take the gold medal for the Oakley Prizm Stand. Once he gets it finished, he can stand on it like an olympic podium. Clintloggins and madgrizzle tied for the silver. Congratulations to all!

5 Likes

Very happy with the results. The components all fit perfectly square and the dimensions were within 1/16” (2mm) accuracy.

imageimageimage

5 Likes

Damn u got my vote. That looks good .if u don’t mind how many error did u come across . Did you cut all the pieces towards the middle or how many pieces of 4x8 wood did you use or can we c ur frame setup.
I have so many more ? But me personally I think we should all tell what we learned or experience .what we did wrong or y we think we should do it this way

1 Like

The only problem is the covering which hides all the nice Maslow cuts!

@Addubb, You make cool stuff!

1 Like