Router Recommendation (Australia)

Yes, that was meant for the Hitachi and the Bosch i mentioned, (they are both fixed to the plunge system)

Also have a look at this topic:

I hope to get many first looks in there, and once we find good candidates then make separate topic threads for those machines with all the more detailed stuff.

Thanks vertex. Agree all options should be considered but we also need someone to commit to test.

Do you want to add this to the candidate list? If so who would be willing to test it in AUS as this is the region we are having issues in so we really need to test locally.

Stuart

1 Like

Vertex,
The bosh has both options fixed and plunge. I am testing the fixed when I get it as did not want the extra expense of having to purchase the plunge base as well. Someone else is welcome to test the Bosch plunge base.

Stu

2 Likes

Hi Stuart,

I think we should shake some youtube reviewers and see what falls out…

Those guys have all the machines… and only have them on the shelf to show off… So why not ask them to take them apart.

There are so many machines out there it’s a nightmare to figure out the differences, and some brands have several revisions of the same machine. Take for instance the Hitachi M12V
There is the rather old looking M12V then several revisions, and now they have given it a ‘transformer’ makeover… But it still goes by the name M12V.

And these days all seems to be moving to brushless. And on top of that having different base options. All of that comes with a lot of marketing bullshit sauce on top.

We must learn to become deaf dumb and blind to all that marketing crap and get x-ray vision on all the adjustment knob differences.

A candidate list… Maybe we should make one big spreadsheet…

Brand:
Machine Type:
Revision:
base type: Fixed, Plunge, Trim.
motor type: Brushed, brushless
motor power: Voltage, Amps, Watts

If you, or anyone else, find a router that looks usable then maybe just make a specific topic for that machine. And try to find as many people as possible who have access to that type of machine to collect as much data as possible. Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to collect specific data.

This is why I started “the big router lift topic” to try to smoke out eventual candidates.
First put anything that remotely looks usable in the spotlight. Then filter out the best ones and give those some extra attention…

But that takes time… And a lot of attention.

So this looks like an ideal task for us as community.

Maybe there is someone who repairs these kinds of machines? Or someone who has access to older machines that are no longer used?

@Gero and @walter have Bosch fixed base routers, as well as my self, but I have not build the machine yet due to our electrician being slow connecting power in our shed (he promised it would be done before Christmas)… Walter and my self sourced the fix base from Amazon, and brought the router locally (the 1600CE) Its a bit tight fitting, with the clamp shut, and a bit wiggly with it open.

There’s a lot of background on the old forums (and some on this one) around the Bosch GOF 1600 in combination with MRF01 Fixed Base Router.

Here are the links:

In short, still not clear if Bosch GOF 1600 with MRF01 Fixed Base is working set up. I haven’t gotten back to tweaking the fixed base yet to have another go.

I can say it is definitely an expensive option though! I would probably experiment with a custom z-axis rig and a trim router if I was starting again.

3 Likes

Awesome recommendation Vertex.

Do you have any contacts for youtube reviewers? If so let me know and I will chase. For the Australian Case I think this is the thread to create the list in all we need to do is have a moderator accept candidate units from the community, then add them by editing their list which is available for download.

I am happy to do this or someone can put their hand up. When submitting a candidate machine as you stated we need an agreed data template which can be kept in the attached spreadsheet for others to download. We also still need someone commit to test the unit if we cannot get the reviewers on board otherwise it will go nowhere.

Candidate Router Template

Make: [Brand]
Model: []
Revision: []
Base Type: [Fixed, Plunge]
Motor Type: [Brushed,Brushless]
Fine adjustment type: [Locked adjustment, After Lock Adjustment]
Fine Adjustment Orientation [Vertical, Horizontal]
Fine Adjustment Travel: [mm]
Rated Power: [ Power [W], Voltage [V], Current [A] ]
Variable Speed Adjustment: [yes,no]
Dust Extraction: [Yes, No]
Available Collet Sizes: [inch/mm]
Router table mounting [Yes, No] - Important as if yes easy to screw to sled
Price: [$ Ex GST]
Suppliers: [List]
Validated by [List]

In parallel I will still test the unit I have committed to as currently I have a system sitting idle and want to progress.

Stuart

Good call Stephen - at a glance the Triton MOF001 does appear to be a good candidate. That and at the sale price of $399, it takes the sting out of purchasing another router just for Z-Axis functionality…

Rumbles is that price inc or EX GST?

I have been able to find all the suppliers of the Bosch GOF 1600 CE (Plunge Base version) now which include Bunnings, Total Tools, Blackwoods Express, Mitre 10.

Best price so far $499 Inc GST but have asked bunnings to price beat this so hopefully get it a little cheaper.

Was notified by Bosch today that you can only purchase the GOF 1600 CE with plunge base currently in australia and that the combo kit is not available.

Looks like we now have two good candidates. Is anyone going to purchase the Triton and test it?

Updated Edit - Bunnings matched and beat the price listed above to $449.10 In GST so I am now ready to rock. Lead time is two weeks but that is ok.

Given I have not been able to get the Z Axis Kit I think I will try and source another motor in the mean time and get it going.

Stu

Sure is Stu!

https://www.vektools.com.au/power-tools/triton/triton-1400w-1-4-1-2-dual-mode-precision-plunge-router.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

You are welcome @stuartri

I don’t have direct contacts with youtube reviewers, but maybe we should head over to someone like AvE’s channel and Throw back some dyslectic engineering speak that get’s his attention and then see if that get’s him into the mood to pull a few routers apart… :smiley:

He even disected his 100k youtube subscribers award and gave that a honest review. The guy has a few rough edges around his sound outlet, but he really knows his hardware. And… it wouldn’t hurt to mention the word Maslow on a channel with 100k subscribers… But that’s not the main reason. We really need some good insights into the z-lift options that are out there.

I know AvE has a Etsy account, sou that might be a sneaky way to get in touch with him?

There arn’t that many people who crack open machines. And even less who know the real difference between good and bad or are at least willing to figure it out…

And indeed we can also do out own reviews and add the winners to the wiki.

I like your additions to that template!

What if i Make a Google site for this? (that could make it more searchable, and enable us to collect more data off-site so that we can collect the BEST data in the wiki and still have all the other data available somewhere in googles domain…

Become a patreon and you’ll be a lot more likely to get his attention. He gets massive numbers of requests to review things. Send him the router instead of expecting him to buy it and you’ll get an even better, but not guaranteed, response

2 Likes

Just an update on the router that I linked earlier, the vendor has come back to me and confirmed that it is indeed a fixed base router and that the height adjustment works by way of 3 hex bolts that when rotated one whole turn will raise or lower the router by 0.8mm. They also said that there’s 3 types of milling/cutting depth.

I think I might bite the bullet and pick one of these up to have a closer look at it. I’ve only just ordered my Maslow Kit so won’t be able to test it for a few months but I can take some photos and pull it apart to see how it works.

I will report back once I know more!

Thanks again for everyone’s input on these forums, I’ve learnt so much here already!

Cheers,

Cal.

3 Likes

Thats probably 3 plunge stages, thats handy for manual tasks, but you won’t be using these on the maslow.

Looking forward to those photo’s!

They might be stops that only work when you push the body down to them, not dynamic adjustments. Keep us posted

Good find Benji - definitely need to look into the viability.

This product could be the key to making the z-axis kit work on a large variety of routers without having to home-brew individual solutions for each router make. By making the z-axis kit compatible with the “router raizer” it would result in all of the routers that are compatible with the raizer automatically compatible with the kit including plunge routers (no more having to buy a dedicated router)!

http://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm

At around AU$140 it’s worth the investment… So… who has a maslow with z-axis kit that can be our guinea pig?

As I see it, the Z axis kit will work with this as long as you get the right
shaft coupler to attach the motor to the shaft

you may have to fiddle with the mounting brackets (in different ways for each
router, depending on where the motor needs to go)

But this is just like every other router lift.

I would suggest contacting the router raizer folks and ask them about adding a
motor to their device, and they will probably be able to give you all the
details.

Vertex,
I have been able to get my hand on the Fixed base version of the Bosch Router through my Contact at Bosch . It was purchased today and expect to receive it mid next week.

The key was the bosch internal part number listed below. All resellers said we could not get it but here it is and it was actually in AUS already.

PN 1600A001CJ GKF 1600 (Copy Base for GOF 1600)

This is the accessory to the GOF 1600 CE Router.

I wanted to get the base first before I committed to the full unit as they are not cheap but did get bunnings to get a great price but through their special orders.

I am expecting delivery next week so will post some pictures and a video to the group that will allow us some more scrutiny on the unit and whether it is a viable option or not.

Kind Regards Stuart

3 Likes

To all,
I have just received the Bosch fixed base for the GOF 1600 CE router.

I have attached pictures of the unit below and note that you can remove the knobs easily to expose a coupling point to the z-Axis.

I will try and confirm the screw pitch as a followup. Hope the pictures are of assistance.

My Z axis motor is on its way so the next step is to couple it to the fixed base to confirm operation then I will purchase the router motor module that plugs into the fixed base.

Total travel on the fine adjust is documented as 41mm I will confirm

20171219_165238

Kind Regards Stuart

3 Likes

First off, loving Maslow CNC, this thing is cool but after seeing all this “Maslow in Aus” issues, panicked a bit as thought wouldn’t be able to use z axis.
Found and bought this for $139 at NT Tools in Darwin, was the last one in store.
The handle, that the tag is attached, manually raises and lowers the router via a threaded rod.
While it is a bit different from the official Maslow used router in that you turn the handle pulling router down the static thread as opposed to turning the threaded rod.
The handle itself is almost decorative, is has small pins that engage a turnable ring (just visible below rubber band) that rides up and down threaded rod.
I haven’t tried it yet but I think I should be able to make an attachment that goes over the threaded rod and attaches to the ring to control z axis,
or,
could mount a gear on the ring and a gear on the z axis motor and drive it directly.

as I am using it manually at the moment, when ground control say adjust depth to -5mm I just wind the handle in.
Since the ring has to be turned as opposed to the thread, I am guessing I will have to mount z motor to router.

Adjustment on 5mm router bit allows 20mm of travel, plenty to get though 18mm ply but could probably get more with router but pulled out a bit more.

Sorry for long and maybe confusing first post.

3 Likes