Stuck... I upgraded from Windows 10 from Windows 7 and now I am getting an OpenGL 2.0 Kivy Fatal Error

I have been attempting for months now to finish building my Maslow Body for the CNC. I finally got it where I wanted it. I originally was using Windows 7, but I upgraded my Laptop to Windows 10 so I could use Corel Draw. Now yesterday I tried to connect to the ground control, and I get an error that says OpenGL 2.0 is missing and the program is going to close immediately. I don’t recall getting this error when I was using Windows 7. I have been searching everywhere for ways to update the freaking openGL from 1.10.0 to 2.0, but no luck. I have seen some site where you go in and change some lines of code in your .kivy under your users in the configuration, but I am not sure what the heck I am doing to just go willy nilly changing things. If someone is willing to help me by telling me what I need to put where I can do that. I was on the computer with the Microsoft help line all day Sunday and they had me change one of the lines from 2 to 0, but that didn’t work. I was so hoping that would solve the issue. Now basically I have this 4 x 8 monstrosity in my back yard that my wife just hates looking at… and a $500 paperweight sitting in my shed. This laptop that I only was using for the Maslow CNC router. And the $200 special router that I bought only for the CNC machine. Ouch this has become an expensive nightmare…
Any help would be greatly appreciated…
Thank you in advance.
Jeff Smith

The easiest option would be to use Web Control instead of Ground Control.

2 Likes

This was one (of the many) reasons for a web-based CNC program. As @garrett1812 said, give webcontrol a try and if you run into problems with figuring out how to use it, feel free to ask for the forum… many people here are happy to help get your through this. I recognize things can be frustrating, but take a deep breath :slight_smile: Download the singlefile version to keep things simple…

https://github.com/madgrizzle/WebControl/releases/download/v0.932/webcontrol-0.932-win64-singlefile.zip

unzip it and run it. It should start a browser window automatically.

Have you calibrated your machine using groundcontrol?

I haven’t been able to calibrate anything yet with ground control.

Ok, just get webcontrol running and then follow the first steps under help (don’t worry about importing groundcontrol.ini). Let me know if you run into problems.

Some others have seen this problem right after upgrading OS, in some cases getting all the windows updates, up to date, has fixed the issue.

I have upgraded everything and still have the issue.

does the web control work just like ground control?
I got it to open, but I am not sure what to do now. I have never seen ground control open so I am excited, but really freaking lost.
thank you,
Jeff Smith

In the distance box put 1 as the value then see if you can move the sled around with the arrows.

Oh… I thought you had to calibrate it before putting on the chains and the router…

You have to have the chains and router on in order to calibrate, I just wanted to see if you were sucessfully communicating with the controller and the motors were responding.

You can also test motors/encoders under the action menu in webcontrol.

I can’t do much right now, my machine and webcontrol is running a cut.

I’m not at my computer, so I’m doing this from memory. First thing is to do actions->quick configure. Then actions->set sprockets vertical and extend the chains and connect the sled. After, you can either do the old triangular calibration using the stock controller firmware or (and I suggest you do) upgrade to holey calibration firmware (actions->upgrade holey firmware) and when it’s done, run holey calibration a couple of times… each time you run it, the calibration will improve… until you get to a point of diminishing returns.

I really wish someone that is photogenic would do a video of going through the process :slight_smile:

ok, you talked me into ti.

1 Like

I appreciate all the help and responses

Thank you Madgrizzle

Did you get a chance to make the video Orob?

I had planned to do it yesterday but was unable to, sorry.

The plan:
-set the gears to 0 and reset the chains
-connect the sled
-upgrade my system to holey calibration

I’m working on it now and expect to hopefully get some decent footage and likely post later today.

Awesome

ok, I videoed the quick setup, the triangular calibration, the holey upgrade, and the holey calibration. I managed to do everything wrong and recorded most of it. It will take some masterful editing to make me not look like a complete idiot. I borrowed my daughter’s ipad to take the video because our camcorder disappeared and I can’t use my phone to calibrate and record at the same time. I sure hope this is useful. Extending the chains, I dropped one and had to do it 3x. If you don’t use a release version of webcontrol to upgrade holey, it will try for like 20 minutes until you cancel because the failure message dialog is actually behind the “please wait” dialog to upgrade the firmware. The development versions don’t have the firmware attached. Once it does upgrade, it automatically goes into fake servo and if you move the sled to start the cuts, realize it is in fake servo because the reticle is moving, but the sled is not like I did, then stop it and disable fake servo without moving the fake servo sled home first you get to reset the chains yet again. So this was a fun exercise in calibration frustration to hopefully be able to share some empathy with all who are doing this for the first time. It can be super frustrating regardless of how experienced or inexperienced the user. Take a deep breath, have some birthday cake or whatever you have to calm down and trudge through this step by step. It will work eventually, but the user must be meticulous.

What do you mean by "release version "?